Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Nov 1994 22:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 Kombi Progress Report

Ok,

Tonight I set the garage up for "Winter Project Mode" and pulled the bus in. It baaaaarrrreeeelllleeeeey fits (height-wise).

I decided to attack the nose first. I bought a couple more of those little brillo things for the drill (I swear by those babies) and started grinding away the bondo. It looks like the bus was hit and repaired at least twice, and then hit once again for good measure.

The sad/funny thing is, the bodywork underneath wasn't all that bad. Its the bondo that was piled on top that was awful. In most places it was 3/4" thick, over an ince deep in some others! It seems they had tried to re-sculpt the V in front, but they were way off. Once I get the bondo off, it actually won't be too much work to hammer/dolly/pick the metal straight and to shrink a few spots. I'll be a journeyman bodyman by the time I'm done, though :)

I went ahead and ordered inner rockers from Das Bulli Haus in Conneticut, so I figure it'll be a couple of weeks before they get here. That should give me enough time to make good headway on the nose. Then again, I could just finish the nose and then go to the rockers.

Another trick I did. We have a diaphram-type air-compressor my SO was using for airbrushing. Its a 3/4 horse unit. I'd used it for painting my last bus, and it was kinda difficult, and I used it to paint a friend of mine's crotch rocket, and it worked well for that. So what I did was buy a 7 gallon air tank, took all of the fitting on and put on new quick-connect air fittings. So now I use it an an intermediate tank, which really works well. I makes my small air gun (4-6 CFM) work really well, and it just barely keeps up with my big gun (9-11 CFM) I even have a guage on this apparatus (came with da tank) and now I can't wait to paint something! Any victims wanna "volunteer?"

Well, until next time... Thom '56 Kombi - getting underway -- >> Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................ All opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily those of TIMS!