Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 94 09:51:26 gmt
From:         A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk (Andy Erskine)
Subject:      Re: Ethanol

> that assume gasoline and run like they are lean. This doen't explain why > gas mileage gets worse, as you pointed out. The reason gas mileage goes down > is because there is less energy available, per unit volume, in the fuel. To > get the perfornmance you expect, you have to open the throttle further. > Our friends with gag, gag, cough, hack diesels would like us to believe that > their engines are just way more efficient than gas engines (and they are more > efficient) and that's why they use less fuel, but that's not the whole story. > Diesel fuel is the opposite of ethanol, it has more energy per unit volume than > gasoline. There's just more zip per drop in the fuel itself. >

Ethanol has a specific heating value of 29.7MJ/kg, compared with gasoline's 47.3MJ/kg. But diesel is 44.8MJ/kg. Diesel engines use less fuel because they run at much higher compression ratios than gasoline engines, and operate (at least in theory) on a constant pressure cycle which is more efficient than a constant volume cycle. Thermal efficiency is directly proportional expansion ratio. You get more bang per drop out of diesel because you can squeeze the heck out of it before burning it and then expand it more completely.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk