Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 94 8:57:36 PST
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Propane going out while driving

This regarding whether or not the propane should or should not be on while driving.

Derek Drew claims that it is absurd to switch between propane and electric every time you stop your car. Now when I drive with something in the fridge, I usually just leave the electric on unless I plan to stop for a significant amount of time. Significant = 1/2 hour or more. If I'm stopping for gas or groceries or whatever, I'm not going to dick with the changing the fridge to propane. If we stop to eat at a restaurant, I'll probably change it over unless we're going for fast food. Now with that in mind, I don't see what the big hassle is. I've never had a problem starting my propane and switching to DC is a snap. Maybe I need further clarification from Derek as to where the 'hassle' comes in or if I'm missing something.

The reason I use electric when traveling is that is the way the system was meant to be used. Whether it is safer or not is quite debatable. I tend to feel that it is safer to use electric while driving because I don't like having the gas going through the lines with a flame on while everything is being jarred around however minute the chances of a problem may be. I just feel safer. VW also discourages the use of propane while driving. I'll trust the engineers at VW on this one. It also saves gas for the trip although the fridge uses very small amounts of gas, it doesn't hurt to be frugal.

So I don't think I'm a raving lunatic for using the 12V system for keeping the fridge cool while traveling. And it certainly isn't a hassle for me to change between the 12V and propane systems.

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com