Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 94 15:42:00 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Winter Camping Tips.

Al Knoll writes: > > So how do the rest of you folks winterize your westie? > I've seen foam window covers, propane catalytics, micro forced air furnaces, > lots of dogs and other schemes for winter camping. I'm thinking of a ski > excursion with the syncro as bed and breakfast in such chilly places as > Sun Valley ID, Jackson WY, McCall ID, Bozeman MT, Driggs ID, etc etc. So > what's the recommendations for winter camping from some of you Westphilias that > have done such bold adventures and lived to write me about it? > > > -- > -- > ___ / __ __/ ____/ Al Knoll HP Performance Technology / > / / / / Center Roseville, CA, USA 95747 / > _____/ / / 916.785.5317 (Telnet 785-5317) / > / / / email: alf@hpptc44.rose.hp.com / > __/ __/ ______/ ___________________________________/ > > > The easiest thing, and I have to admit I've only done this in California snow, is to take one of those 110v portable electric heaters and stay somewhere that has an electrical hookup.

The kid that bought my '72 pirated a gas heater out of a '73 Thing and lived in the bus for an entire winter in Colorado. He appears to have survived, but has since welded two buses together, built his own high-top, stuck in a Ford V6 and now has a rolling apartment (I've driven it, the brakes are way, way inadequate). It may have been brain frostbite that brought all this on....

Dave Kautz '74 Westfalia

P.S. By the way, those of you that are calculating energy content of fuel and doing it with BTU/lb and Joules/gram have got to figure in the density in order to get to zip per drip, which were the units I was using if I recall correctly.

P.P.S One of the confounded air injection tubes ( the ones that go into the head) has come loose on my '74. It can be wiggled in and out 1-2 mm and leaks exhaust - phht, phht, phht. Any clues on what broke?? Thanks in advance.