Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 94 19:50:42 EST
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Re- Drivin' in Mean Wind

Norman Leong writes: > > Drafting a semi or bus does work under head/side wind conditions, as I found > out with my dad's Type 3 a few years back. I'd never seen the needle go down > so slowly. > > My dad didn't think it was such a hot idea; I think he was a little nervous > about the proximity of the trailer's back and my ability to react in time. > > Anyway, here's something that I haven't seen in this thread yet... > Aside from stone chips peppering the face of your fine vehicle, has anyone > noticed any rise in engine temp from the reduction of air being rammed down > the vents. I imagine this would have some detrimental effect down the line > somewhere, especially if you were air-cooled. > > Norman "oh damn, I'm off the back again!..." > > Finally, a question for which I can provide a definitive answer!. On our trek this past summer from Palo Alto to Ottawa in the 82 we spent a lot of time drafting behind trucks on I 90 and I 80, sometimes at 100 mile stretches through Colorado, Nebraska etc (and just between you and me, the US truck drivers are a whole lot friendlier than up here- not once did a driver give any indication that they minded). The Westfalia is equipped with both an oil pressure guage and a head temp gauge. This in essence is what I found: a) oil pressure increased by between 10psi and 20 psi; b) head temperatures dropped by F 25-50 degrees (depending on grade of hill); gas consumption decreased (highest maximum mpg obtained -25mpg). A few times we were able to go 300 miles before filling up. These are reliable findings, since we drafted close to the entire trip (3000 miles).

In sum, drafting does have some serious advantages, staying at or accelerating to 65 or 70 is relatively effortless meaning that it is easier to stay with the flow of traffic, gas consumption goes down and there may be less wear and tear on the engine. IDEA!!! - California trip people, why not take turns drafting each other like the bike racers and measure the effects?

DC

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------