Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 1994 17:02:16 -0800
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Distributors revisited

Jon Ulrigg asks:

> Is it possible to seat the distributor so that it is > sending the spark to plug 3 when it should send to plug 1, or do they > only seat in the correct manner. If it were seated this way, would the > vehicle still run?

Jon, My recollection is that the vacuum can is going to prevent your putting the distributor in 180 degrees out, but human creativity being what it is...

The good news is, the car only runs with the distributor in the right way, another way of saying that the right way is whatever works.

Your standard Bentley or Haynes or Idiot's book should have a picture that shows you approximately where the rotor should be pointing at #1 Top Dead Center, with the valves closed. This is where the engine should be when you set the valve clearence, and where the spark is fired when the engine is running.

So you start from the inside out: If you removed the old distributor without lining the engine up at #1 TDC, then line the engine up there first. Remember, our 4 cycle engines have 2 complete strokes of the piston for each time the cylinder fires, so lining up the crank-shaft only gives you a 50% chance of being in the right place.

You can tell you're in the right place by the valves being 'relaxed' on #1, or by the rotor of the distributor being able to plug in and point to the #1 position, or better yet, both. Now that I think about it, you may be asking this question because the little ridged bit on the bottom of the distributor that engages the disributor drive looks like it can go in either correctly or 180 out, and well it may. So *do* pull the #1 & #2 valve cover and turn the engine (by hand) until you're sure that #1 is at TDC with the valves closed. (At the 'other' tdc, the exhaust valve and the intake valve will be opened by the cam shaft, and you won't be able to easily slip the feeler gauge between the rocker adjuster and the valve shaft.)

Remember that using the big nut/bolt on the crankshaft belt pulley, you can only turn in the direction that *tightens* the fastener. That's clockwise as you look at it. If you go too far, go twice around again.

Ok, now that you've got the engine pointed the right way, put in the distributor, note which way it points and install the plug wire from #1 to the cap position that is over the longer, narrower, end of the rotor. Turn the engine 180 degrees and be sure that the distributor has turned 90 degrees. This is (I think) #3- your book will tell you under "Firing order". Connect the plug wire. Turn the engine another 180 degrees and check the #1 valves, they should be open now. Keep turning, and connecting plug wires.

I appologise for being a little rusty on bus installations, the 914 is about 15 years newer in my memory, and you couldn't reach it's alternator belt pulley nut. Turning the engine to tighten the fastener, you may be turning it backwards, which doesn't hurt anything, but does reverse the firing order. The easiest way to be sure you're doing this right is to follow the directions for setting the valves, and connect a plug wire to that point on the cap that the rotor is pointing to when its ok to set that valve.

Whether a one-vacuum hose distributor can be connected to a two vacuum hose carb I'm not sure- go the the VW place, or someone with the parts micro-fiche, and see how the factory meant to assemble it.

I *did* find a 63 crew cab in the paper, for $4900. Will talk to the fellow tonight!

Bill