Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Nov 94 13:57:40 PST
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      good FI books?

Due to the large amount of rain in the San Francisco area last weekend, I had the opportunity to drive through standing water at high rates of speed, to see how well the vanagon's syncro trans handles hydroplaning.

After a few minutes of splashing around, I headed home, and my poor little van stumbled to a halt. The engine wouldn't die, but had zero, zip, nunca, power. Turning the ignition on and off, cleared the problem, but only for 20 - 30 seconds. A ha! I am well acquainted with my van running well for half a minute or so after turning on the ignition, and then have some stumbling behavior under load.

I figgered the O2 sensor had finally bought the farm. I went to Mr. FLAPS and bought the $65 three-wire O2 sensor (with the wrong connector, the VW connector equipped sensor was $120).

So I removed the old O2 sensor (easy, didn't even use any penetrating oil), and cut off the old connector to attach to the new sensor. After cutting the wires and inspecting the old sensor's wires, I noticed that one of the heating wires and the sensor wire had the insulation rubbed off.

Since it hasn't rained in CA since I moved here in March, this lack of insulation didn't matter. Playing in the water must have caused a short between the wires.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed the new sensor, and I _still_ have misfiring and hesitation under load at low (under 2100) rpms. Instead of buying parts willy-nilly, I'm looking for a good book I can use to diagnose the problem with my little van, and then intelligently :-) replace stuff.

So, who has recommendations for a Bosch FI book that includes how-tos and whys and assumes that I don't have much more than a test light and a digital multimeter?

Thanks!

-Jim