Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 94 15:05:46 PST
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      Re: engine bogging, air flow meters

> > > Thirdly, I replaced my air flow sensor because I was being > hypochondriacal about the engine performance. Stupid move. Don't > replace your air flow meter unless your van is cutting out at > specific rpm ranges and then runs smooth at others. I've become > something of an air flow meter expert thru my trials and can discuss > these in another post if desired. >

Please post. My engine cuts out and stumbles under load in the 1000-2000 rpm range. No idle problems. Doing the resistance test on the pot in the airflow box gives wild readings (as I move the flap, resistance goes up and down, not smoothly up like Bentley wants).

BUT, my van runs like a charm with no hesitation at all under any circumstances if I leave the O2 sensor disconnected. I doubt that the airflowmeter is left out of the loop when the computer doesn't sense the airflow meter... which is why asked earlier about good FI books, so I could find out what is being ignored and attack those guys.

I fear to bring this to the dealer, because I looked at the previous owner's records... he had the 60000mi major service done for $600+. 9000 miles later, he complains about rough running, etc. They replaced all the plugs, wires, etc _again_! This was only a $280 visit. There was also evidence of a particularly sleazy VW dealer; they charged him $58 for the air filter! Ouch. At the 60000 mile service, it was only $32, and at the same dealer as well. Looking through the old service records makes me fear dealers mightily.

-Jim