Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 1994 16:46:50 -0800 (PST)
From:         dbax@netcom.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      I Bought the '85 Vanagon!!!!

I did it! I got the 1985 Vanagon today, left the Passat at work and drove it home this evening. Thanks to everyone who responded to my queries about this vehicle.

A couple of issues:

I need an owner's manual! I called around to a couple of the VW dealers here in Metropolitan Atlanta and had no luck. Jim Ellis said they could order one but were not encouraging, if they could find one it could take months to show up according the parts person. Is there some kind soul in the Atlanta area that could lend me theirs for the purpose of photocopying?

I am planning on changing the oil, filter and flushing the cooling system soon. There appears to be no visible coolant in the expansion tank (blue or otherwise) but it does not appear to be leaking either. What sort of flushing compund is recommended (if any) and must I use that expensive stuff from the VW dealer or are there other Phosphate-free substitutes available? Also, since I don't have any specs on this car, how much does it hold? How much oil, for that matter?

Speed three doesn't work on the front heater/fresh air fan, the other speeds work if I jiggle the switch. Is this a Vanagon only switch, or can I buy similar from Jetta/Golf?

I may have let myself in for a real pain here, but I'm sure I will learn a lot (I did find out where the brake fluid reservoir is--what a surprise!!! quite by accident). I suppose I should get a service manual for the thing but Bentley is really expensive--will Haynes do?

What I really need is the grand tour of this thing--any takers in Atlanta?--

And all the puppets in this digital jail / They're runnin' around in a frenzy In search of the Holy Grail. / They're havin' virtual sex. / They're eatin' virtual food. No wonder these puppets are always in a lousy mood.

--Laurie Anderson, Bright Red/Tightrope (The Puppet Motel) ________________________________