Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 94 20:42:37 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: I Bought the '85 Vanagon!!!!

On Thu, 10 Nov 94 18:46:43 CST Donald Baxter said: >I did it! I got the 1985 Vanagon today, left the Passat at work and

ha! you fool, you!! :) Seduced by the Siren-Song of Spacious Speed ... :)

>I need an owner's manual! I called around to a couple of the VW dealers >here in Metropolitan Atlanta and had no luck. Jim Ellis said they could

b.s. call back to ellis and ask for Joe Baisle (bays-uhl) ... tell him i send you. you may have to get the parts place to route you to wherever he is ... he can tell you the straight dope. or, if you prefera more direct route via phone and credit card, check these folks:

(All Models, Vanagons, 1981-1991) OWNERS MANUALS Volkswagen Product Service Publications (800) 544-8021 c/o Dyment Distribution Services (216) 572-0725 8am-9pm EST P.O. Box 360740 visa/mc accepted Strongsville, OH 44136

order # description price VOM CA-xxxx Camper (supplement to Vanagon) ..... $7.50 VOM VA-xxxx Vanagon ............................ $7.50 where xxxx is the year you want (1981, 1989, etc.) free index/catalog is order # VI free subscription to service bulletins (currently being issued) is order # VBS 88 (but you have to renew each year, and they don't tell you that it has stopped).

Out-of-Print Service/Owners Manuals

Bob Johnson's Auto Literature (MA) (800) 334-0688

Auto's Lit Shop (PA) (717) 987-3702

>I am planning on changing the oil, filter and flushing the cooling system >soon. There appears to be no visible coolant in the expansion tank (blue >or otherwise) but it does not appear to be leaking either. What sort of >flushing compund is recommended (if any) and must I use that expensive >stuff from the VW dealer or are there other Phosphate-free substitutes >available? Also, since I don't have any specs on this car, how much does >it hold? How much oil, for that matter?

the quantity of coolant is listed as 18 quarts ... 4.5 GALLONS!!!! other phosphate-free coolants are Sierra (also not as toxic as regular coolant) and Zerex Extreme. oil: i put 5 quarts in the bus when i change the filter and oil. i'm wondering, however, about trying 4 quarts next time to see if Derek's splash theory of heat retention is right.

>I may have let myself in for a real pain here, but I'm sure I will learn >a lot (I did find out where the brake fluid reservoir is--what a >surprise!!! quite by accident). I suppose I should get a service manual >for the thing but Bentley is really expensive--will Haynes do?

the bentley is best. haynes only covers 1980-1983 air-cooled. get a copy of HOT VWs and check the ads for the best prices. dealer prices on the bentley books are pretty bad.

>What I really need is the grand tour of this thing--any takers in Atlanta?--

i wish you had sent this yesterday!!! i was just in atlanta today (thursday) getting my bus 'made over'. i would have LOVED to show you all the ins and outs of a bus. :) wanna come over to Anniston? (that's about half way to me).

also: i met a really nice lady with an automatic 89 camper ... and she is thinking about selling it. :) as soon as the people at the credit union throw me out onto the street, i'll give y'all the info. ;)

joel