Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Nov 1994 03:31:33 GMT
From:         ben@piglet.cr.usgs.gov (Ben A. Mesander)
Subject:      [A] parts & info needed for early type II front end

My 62 single-cab type-II needs front end work. The front end camber is way out of spec, and it wears front tires out really fast. It has play when I grab the front tires at 12 and 6 oclock and rock them. Presumably my king pins and link pins are trashed.

I feel confident mechanically that I can pull off the steering knuckle with the link and king pins inside, but I don't have the tools I need to go further (reamers, some sort of press). I called one place nearby and I was quoted $75 per side for link pins. I understand it is very hard to find early bus king pins (I think I've seen them for 63 and later front ends before, but never the early size). No place I've called has any leads on early bus king pins.

My questions are:

What is a good price for link and king pin sets?

Where can king pin sets be found for early bus front ends?

Are there quality problems with any brands of link/king pin sets?

How much labor is reasonable to pay for someone to replace the bushings and put the new pins in, if I give them the steering knuckles? (I was quoted $400 by one shop that had the correct reamers).

if I can't find new king pins, what are my options? (turn old ones undersize, have custom bushings turned? How much should this cost?)

I don't read rec.autos.vw but once every couple of months, and they expire rec groups here about every 5 minutes, so I'd really appreciate it if you could send me email or give me a phone call at home in the evening or weekend instead of posting your reply. I will save the replies I get, and if I get any "me toos", I'll forward on any info I find. If someone could forward this to any appropriate vw mailing lists, I'd be very appreciative (VintageVW maybe)?

Help us keep our strange looking pickup on the road. Thanks!

Ben & Maggie Mesander - (303)236-5692 (eve & weekends, US/Mountain timezone) 63 Westfalia Type II, 62 Single Cab Type II, 73 Standard Beetle.