Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 1994 16:46:43 -0500 (EST)
From:         huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jerry Huff)
Subject:      Re: More questions on my '85

> > I hope I am not being to much of a pain here, I have lotsa questions. > > When the engine is cold on this '85, the idle is about 900-1000 RPM. > When warmed up to normal operating temperature the idle increases to > 1400-1600 RPM. The van also seems to be getting not so good gas > mileage--not sure of the figures (and in fact, I don't know how much the > tank really holds) but in 90 miles of driving, I have used 1/2 tank > according to the fuel gauge.

I have an '84 and the gas gauge is not linear. I hit 1/2 tank around 100+ miles and fill up around 250 miles with the needle in the red taking on 12-13 gallons. I believe the tank has a 16 gallon capacity.

> > Also, could someone explain the heater/fresh air controls, they seem > indordinately complicated (I also have a rear heater as well). The four > levers seem like a carry over from the old '71 bus but I don't think > right and left have much to do with the controls.

I thought this was an impossible control system to figure out until I made the connection between top-to-bottom and front-to-back. The top lever controls the windshield/defrost vents (right = more, left = less as depicted by the white triangle above the lever). The second lever controls the temprature (left = fresh air, right = fresh air passed over the front heater core). The third lever from the top controls the air flow at your feet (left = more, right = less). The last lever controls fresh (non heated) air flow to the vents above the windows in the back of the bus (left = more, right = less).

Typical summer setting (no A/C, maximum fresh air flow):

--------------------------- | ----------------------# | Windshield | #---------------------- | Temp | #---------------------- | Feet | #---------------------- | Passenger ---------------------------

Maximum fresh air, non heated defrost:

Maximum fresh hot air defrost:

Typical cool weather setting: