Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 94 12:05:55 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: I Bought the '85 Vanagon!!!!

On Fri, 11 Nov 94 08:00:52 CST Gerald Skerbitz said: >Coolant. If you flush the system with water, and then put coolant in, >you should expect to put about 2 gallons. I ended up with a little less >than two gallons, but I've had to open the system a few times since then >and have used up the third gallon.

just to be sure we are all understanding things here, i was talking about the quantity of water AND anti-freeze in the whole system ... and i think Gerry is saying that you only need to add 2 gallons of pure anti-freeze. i think the point here is that if you flush the system, there will be water left in it, and it shouldn't take more than 2 gallons (or so) from the anti-freeze bottles/jugs/containers to finish filling it up.

unless you start trying to figure the concentration you want. ;) we run about 50-50 down here, but up north, you might want to run 60-40 (60 percent coolant, 40 percent water ... which is what i've always heard was the limit that you did not want to go past <cause 70-30 didn't do any better than 60-40>) ... which means putting in nearly three gallons of anti-freeze.

>Lastly, there are several 84 and 85 owners on the list who have had their >vehicles less than a year (I'm one). We're all learning and LEANING on >Joel for emotional and philosophical support.

so THAT's why i keep walking like this!!! :)

joel "there was a crooked man who had a crooked house ..."