Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 1994 12:30:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:         Marcus Grant <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      New addition (longish)

One of my house mates has been looking for a van for sometime and was on the verge of buying the neighbours vanagon with med/hard rear damage for 250 pounds and having it mended until an advert in the Midlands Autotrader showed a 76 camper in Leicester (about 25 miles way). After a quick phone call for directions, Gotch (my house mate) and I ended up at a farm virtually underneath an M1 (motorway) bridge.

The owner had two campers, a totaly pristine whesty of around 78 vintage; everything about it was superb, the motor purred, the paint gleamed, and the sliding door could be opened with a dab of your little finger....

However it was not for sale, so we stopped drooling and got down to the serious business of deciding whether or not the 76 was worth buying. First impressions were of a nasty greenish colour camper in reasonable condition. The chasis was virtually rust free (which was a good start), but rust could be found in all the usual places (round the bottom of the windscreen, bottom of the front doors etc etc. None of it too serious though.

The inside was very a very nice camper style, with all the usual fridge, cooker, sink bits. I think the conversion looks like a Danbury style to me, but I couldn't find a plate to say who had done the conversion. A nice touch is that the boxes behind the front seats (the ones that make up the front of the bed) can be slid backwards into the middle of the bus, so that anyone that uses it as a seat can be forward facing during the journey. The lifting roof is hinged on one side and provides the usual two extra berths.

Starting the camper up showed that it was blowing slightly from cylinder head for 1&2, but not too badly, so it was time for a test drive. Being a post 71 it had the later steering box which gives a much lighter feel to the steering. This coupled with the fact it was so quiet on the road made it feel so civilised against my 70 bus which is incredibly noisy and well, just plain agricultural by comparison. I was suitably impressed.

The engine did not impress one bit however. Whether it was because it was blowing or just that I've forgotten how gutless the 1600 is, it just felt as flat as a pancake. It would eventually manage a reasonable cruising speed but it took several days to get there.

We went back to the farm where it let Gotch and the owner throw prices at each other for a bit, and they eventually settled on 540 pounds cash, which I thought was a very good deal. Especially as the owner threw in a spare cylinder head, piston and barrel and gave me a rear bumper and hub cap for my bus for free!

So in summary a little bit of work needs doing but all in all a good buy I think.

Marcus '70 bus -- __ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.cov