Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Nov 1994 19:19:10 -0800 (PST)
From:         John Ritchie <ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu>
Subject:      generators vs. camping (long and tiresome)

I know this thread is getting a little far from VWs but this is a topic that, as Pete says, hits a nerve.

First of all, let me say that this is by no means meant as a slam to Pete or anybody else that uses generators or other noise-machines in the woods. This is my opinion on a topic that I really care about and I don't expect everybody to see it my way (good thing, too!) :)

I completely agree with David Garth when he writes:

Nothing ruins the peace and quiet of camping more often than generators. Noise that would be acceptable IMO in a city is unacceptable out in the woods.

In my opinion, the outdoors is a place to escape from the population-induced pressures of the city, the rubbing-together of humans. I'm not an anti-social person and enjoy living in and vacationing in cities, but I also enjoy the solitude and peace of the outdoors. I greatly resent things that intrude on that sense of peace, things that remind me of the presence of all the humans around me. Things like power generators, dirt bikes, loud parties and, on a star-gazing night, the bright glare of somebody's lantern.

Pete Sellers writes a message explaining how running a generator is important to his familial dynamics, allowing his various younger family members to bring their (electrically-driven) interests into the woods with him and be part of the group. Although I respect Pete and understand his motivations for bringing and running a generator in the woods his reasons are, in essence, selfish ones. Selfish in the sense that his considerations for the comfort of his family outweigh his considerations for the people around him. I quote:

I sometimes feel a bit guilty when we're in campsite(s) and the generator is running and I look at our neighbors and sense that they'd rather the generator be turned off (I get it turned off as much as possible and during the quiet hours)!! I adjust my feelings by considering the following ...

Pete goes on to describe how running the generator adds to the cohesion of his family.

Although I can respect these motives I think this is an illustration of one of the key problems in the woods, and in our society today; that of lack of consideration of how our actions impinge on others and lack of respect for other peoples' privacy and feelings. Too many people are too wrapped up in what they're doing or are too inconsiderate in general to see that what they're doing is having a big negative effect on those around them. I'm not saying that Pete, specifically, is an inconsiderate person (he does feel guilty anyway), I'm just using this to illustrate my point.

A major part of the problem is increasing population. There are ever-greater numbers of people swarming into the woods every year; it's becoming ever harder to find solitude and peace in the wilderness with every year. This means a couple things: 1) people who are there in search of solitude are having a harder time getting it and are feeling increasingly critical of their (too-close) neighbors, and 2) activities that weren't a problem 10 years ago are a problem now. When there were 1/10nth the number of people in the woods who cared if somebody made noise, you could just go over the next ridge and be away from them. Now, you go over the next ridge and there are 12 more people there.

Newsweek magazine had a big article on this topic a few months ago (Sorry, I read it at a friend's house so can't give issue/date nor accurate quotes). The article discussed the increasing numbers of people flooding into the National Parks every year seeking solitude and "the outdoor experience." The question was raised: at what point does the wilderness experience lose its wilderness aspect? Is it when you can no longer find a place where you can't see/hear other people within 5 miles? 1 mile? 100 yards?

Well, this discussion is way off VW topic and is long-winded to boot, two list-serve faux pas in one. Sorry about that, and I apologize, too, if I offended anybody accidentally but I really feel strongly that, if we're going to preserve any sense of wilderness as our populations increase we're going to have to learn to be more sensitive to other people and "act smaller" when in the woods.

John "the Ranter" Ritchie