Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 94 16:37:38 PST
From:         macklow@sybase.com (Jim Macklow)
Subject:      RE: fuel mileage

> > 87 Westphalia Syncro GL, PS, AC, 4spd, 2.1L > > 17-18 city > 20-21 hwy > > I'd like to see any other 4x4 RV top that.

I'd like to see my non-camper '87 GL Syncro top that! I get around 15 city and get 20 highway.

I was bored this weekend, so I took a short trip down to the West Coast Pre-Trip gathering spot at Pfieffer. Travel time from El Cerrito, CA, was 2:45 (to the park entrance). I drove a max 65 mph (could have driven faster), got 20 mpg round trip.

About the location: On the coast, it was sunny and warm and windy, and very picturesque, with lots of waves crashing against empty beaches and amazing rock formations.

Pfeiffer is not on the beach, but is inland a few miles in a stand of redwoods. They smell very very very nice! A great fresh pine scent! The temp in woods was quite cool, and since there's no sun to warm you, feels even colder. I didn't enter the park, so I can't comment on the facilities within. Lots of really beautiful scenery just a short caravan drive away, and the redwood forest to welcome you home after going out exploring! Does anyone know the hours for the lighthouse? I drove past on Sunday, and it was closed then. I remember reading somewhere that it's only open a few days a week.

Anyway, the Big Sur area seems like an awesome place to have a Van gathering!

> > Wait, there aren't any other 4x4 RVs (Unimog excepted, of course). >

Look in this month's issue of "Four Wheeler" (I think. One of those four-wheel drive truckin' mags). They have a 4 page pictorial of the European 4-wheeldrive truck show. There's a picture of the "little" Unimog, and also a big Unimog RV, which comes equipped with a washing machine! Some neat pictures of rigs from Eastern Europe and Russia, and lots of Japanese 4by's that don't get imported into the US.

Happy reading,

-Jim