Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Nov 1994 23:15:18 -0800
From:         rickgo@halcyon.halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      camper tops vs the weather

Two more questions for the list dwellers:

- the first is a simple one: anyone know either what kind of plastic the camper tops are usually made of, or better yet, any good ways to repair a couple of small cracks in it before they turn into big cracks? I say usually because this is a non-Westphalia camper conversion, made by VSI in Calif.) I've thought about metal plates drilled through but I'm wondering about alternatives.

- the second one is harder. Remember that leak I was talking about awhile back? (in case you don't I've been catching drips in a pan under my dashboard lately.) I thought it was the windshield - but close inspection of the top shows me that the rear right corner is lifted up about 1/4" - thus allowing water into and I suspect under the camper top, where it *may* be flowing downward into some other path to come out under the dash. I'm not sure yet, but I found that placing a few bricks on the top effectively sealed it up - last nights rain did not cause any leaks. (Tomorrow's storm will help me test this hypothesis further!) So anyway, has anyone have an luck manipulating the metal struts to pull the top down tighter? Or have any other good ideas for accomplishing the same task? (Now I think I know why Westphalia went with the pivoted top instead of the lifted one!)

btw: the bricks on the top of my van are particularly weird looking. No comments from the neighbors yet though...

just trying to keep dry, -rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA ---------------------- Public Key Fingerprint: 05 BA 16 DF CA D4 E2 25 F0 C7 44 D0 47 40 10 2A -----------------------------------------------