Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         15 Nov 94 14:51
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      My thoughts on heat.

Hmm, some interesting ideas I found the following ones the most interesting:

c) oil heater system (takes bypass oil and feeds through fan) upside: relatively inexpensive; no drain on efficiency; downside - no design yet available for Vanagons (bugs only); effects on oil temp and engine unknown; a challenge worth exploring;

Nice idea since you can buy external oil coolers for bugs, so your half way there. It's also easy enough to find a fan housing off a normal car to sit the oil cooler in. One problem would be that the you would have to have oil pipes leading all the way to the cab area - if you wanted to have the heater the cab. Could the standard oil pump cope with that? What would happen if you got an air pocket in the oil pipes?

d) water cooled heater boxes - upside - may be the most efficient and maintenance free; downside - unknown cost and availability; installation;

This has to be the coolest (or rather hottest) idea, I thought about it last Winter. I figure you would have to get hold of stainless-steel J-pipes to replace the old heater boxes. Then get some larger diameter s/s tube about 2 inches? make some discs to go on the end and MIG/TIG it all up - then fit inlet and outlet tubes. Check below:

( Do you like the bubbles ? )

Ok then you'd have to pump the water round with a small water pump off some suitable car, I reckon driven, by belt, from an extra pulley attached to the generator pulley. Plumb in some rubber hoses upto the front of the bus where your all-in-one heater radiator and fan could be situated. I had a FIAT 127 and the heater rad and blower all came in one unit under the bonnet - I think the Yugo 311 or 45 use the same idea (they are FIATs really). Bingo - big time heat at the flick of a switch.

Problems: What would happen if the water in the new heater tubes got too hot ?

Would cooling the exhaust pipes so close to the exhaust ports cause running problems ?

You couldn't turn the water cirulation coz the water would boil in the heater tubes.

e) electric fan booster - upside - easy to install; cheap downside - works well with existing heat will not create more heat; good for defrosting;

Been there, seen it, done it , - works good. Instant snow removal in winter. Doesn't make the bus any warmer, but does remove ice and steam-up quick. I put a fan right at the front of the bus under cab floor. It basically sucks the hot air and blows it up the steel tube in the center of the cab. I fitted a Carburettor cooling fan off a FIAT and Yes I talked about this conversion a while back. I'll be putting up plans on my WWW server in GIF form - soon.

Comments welcome,

Lee. L.S.Griffiths@Physics.Salford.ac.uk '64 Samba '78 FIAT '68 Dirty, rusty front beam