Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 1994 06:45:51 -0500 (EST)
From:         Richard Sellers <psellers@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Subject:      Re: generators vs. camping (long and tiresome)

Well now ....

I don't feel as though I'm being slamed on, dumped on or otherwise "flamed".

While this may be boring to some (perhaps most, if so please stand up and be counted ... state your preference, where's other 100+ members of this list ;) ), I think I'm reading very significant information here, in this thread. (besides Ric, Joel, Martha & DC are able to step back and reload for the next event) :)

My goal is to provide a means to do something with the members of my family and to keep the various interests attracted (hopefully in one place).

If the generator provides the electricity to do that, so be it. I've bared my soul to the fact that I'm aware of the noise the generator makes and have tried to make adjustments to not infringe on my neighbors space, time and hearing. I will follow up on some suggestions made during this thread. I will continue to try and be even more silent in the woods... I rarely use the statement and abhor those who use the following as a primary alibi but

Considering the people who I've seen with generators, I think I try to go far beyond the normal operating characteristics when I use mine

That's not a defense but I hope it is a HINT FOR ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WHO USES A GENERATOR NEAR OTHER PEOPLE!!! :)

While I'm not anywhere near rich, affluent, fiscally comfortable or any of that garbage, if someone helps me to idenitfy a source of mobile, portable electrical power that is quieter AND THAT I CAN AFFORD TO PURCHASE ... I'll give it very serious consideration, will try it and if it works, I'll report about it here and STRONGLY encourage others to use it!

Until then, the generator stays in our inventory and list of "things to take on a camping outing".

I'm somewhat surprised, however, about the sensitivity and response of this topic but when I made a comment about being sensitive and considerate of people who are homeless (aka sleeping in cars, vans, etc.), there was barely a ripple along the telecommunications lines. I'd venture a guess that there's not a place in this country or even on earth that one can go without seeing one or some who are less fortunate, regardless of your current circumstance.

It may sound like reaching for the impossible dream but if one person takes the initiative to do one thing every now and then for one other person, who may be at an opposite extreme, then we can get our human values back near some center point of reasonableness. Then we can have useful dialogue about being quiet "on the block" as well as in the woods.

Part of my effort is working with the young, even the young in own my family, to show them that if they 'bend' (as in move from being rigid) a little, we (who they sometimes consider the establishment) are willing to 'bend' a little. No one wins 100% but we get along in the range we both consider reasonable and tolerable. A little generator noise can go a long way (meaning more than just the sound of the generator).

I could be very wrong but I'm gambling that we can do something like I'm doing to help my kids (spiritual not just biological) to keep their heads on straight. If we can help them stay straight around us, maybe they'll want to stay straight when we're not watching them; maybe they'll want to encourage their peers to stay straight. They may even live long enough to grow up!

Perhaps a long diatribe but I've tried to add my part.

Paraphrasing a comment from a recent political campaign:

It's NOT the generator .... It's the power source, stupid!

R. A. "Pete" SELLERS v: (703) 550-9099 P. O. Box 233 FAX: (703) 550-8188 Lorton, VA 22199 E-Mail: psellers@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu Anyone who stops learning is either very old or DEAD!