Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Nov 1994 23:23:51 -0500 (EST)
From:         Joe Clark <joeclark@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
Subject:      Bubba insults and Monster snaprings (at length)

On Tue, 15 Nov 1994 vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu wrote:

(Well, OK, but I get this in digest form and I'm using Unix PINE, alright?)

dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment) spewed forth: > > All this talk of catalytic heaters, the lack of heat in air-cooled > Vanagons, the impending cold winter and the need for making this a better > world, got me thinking about the possible choices of heat available and > their practical application in air-cooled Vnagaon busses. Here are some ideas:

> Choices:

[Snip -- ah say, snip]

> h) move to Florida > upside - Marlin fishing > downside - may become a bubba > Indee -- ah say, indeed, suh! Frankly, your ethnic sensitivity shows need of some schoolin'. Howevah, I am willin' to ignore your lack of good mannahs, especially in light of the fact that should you choose -- as have several million of your blue-skinned northern brethren -- to repair to these southern climes as our genetically superior ancestors did lo these many generations ago, please do rest assured that, so long as you select a place south of I-4 (even, sadly, many places north of it), you are sure to be among like-minded, black-speedoed, dunlop-bellied Canadjuns -- with nary a bubba in sight.

Joe "Earl" Clark

And, returning to Standard American English,

Dann-o <danno@csd.uwm.edu> maintained:

> In a previous post, it was said that the wheel bearings don t come out to > be greased. It is very easy to remove the bearings. First, remove the

Yes -- if you call removing 12 crud-covered, heat-welded cap screws per side easy :-).

> driveshaft. Then, drive out the stub axle, finally remove the snap rings > on both sides of the bearing carrier. Now, the bearings will come out! >

OY! As I recall from doing this job on my now-departed (snif) '68 Westy, these are the _archetypal_ snap-rings, the mothers-of-all-etc., the eaters-of-cheap-snap-ring-pliers and fliers-off-in-your-flinching-face big muthas. Just to frighten the uninitiate...

But they do come out, and (unghh, twist, OK) it _is_ worthwhile to have a look at those bearings as long as you've gone that far.

Joe "Snap-Ring-Protruding-From-Forehead" Clark --- Joe Clark Where there's no sense, joeclark@freenet.scri.fsu.edu there's no feeling. http://freenet3.scri.fsu.edu:81/users/joeclark/index.html **WARNING: Failure to edit this .sig from replies may cause disk crash.**