Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 1994 12:36:51 +0000 (WET)
From:         Marcus Grant <mty016@coventry.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: generators vs. camping (opinions and such)

> > On Tue, 1 Nov 94 21:20:43 CST John Ritchie said: > >In my opinion, the outdoors is a place to escape from the > > [stuff gone]

> >noise, you could just go over the next ridge and be away from them. > >Now, you go over the next ridge and there are 12 more people there. > > yup. now you have to go THREE ridges over. and still there might be people > over there.

reminds me of an ice climb/snow plod in the French Alps a few years ago where I had to queue for the crux of the climb and then queue to get onto the summit! Crazy. If you want to see an example of a wilderness lost, for the most part (IMHO) the Alps is it.

> > >"the outdoor experience." The question was raised: at what point does > >the wilderness experience lose its wilderness aspect? Is it when you > >can no longer find a place where you can't see/hear other people within > >5 miles? 1 mile? 100 yards? > > aha! but that's part of the problem: to some people, seeing Yellowstone from > a Winnebago IS wilderness ... cause all they have ever known is downtown LA.

I went over to the States last year and popped into Yosemite. I couldn't believe how crowded it all was on the valley floor (in and around Curry village (have I remembered the name right?), yet I did one of the trial walks and met very few people, for the most part I could believe I was `away from it all'. Then back on the ground again and I could have been in a small town.....

[more stuff gone] > > joel > <sheesh! is it past my bedtime already?>

BTW, when I went over to the States I was really convinced I was going to see busloads (sic) of really clean splits. I wandered around from San Diego (sp) to San Fransisco and over into Las Vegas etc, but actually saw very few busses of any description. Quite a few nice bugs mind you. Where do hide them all? I thought So Cal would be crawling with the things.

Oh well, back to work

Marcus

-- __ Marcus Grant mty016@uk.ac.cov