Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Nov 94 00:49:53 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: 1400--1600 rpm in '85 Vanagon

On Tue, 15 Nov 94 22:22:00 CST Donald Baxter said: >I did notice something on cold start that my Jetta used to do (also an >'85 model) the OXS and Alternator LED lights do not go out until you rev >the engine above 1000rpm, something I have always heard is not a problem >and has been corrected in later models.

sometimes ... not always ... my 88 does this. but it's never been a problem, nor turned into one.

>The only other problems I'm having are with the starter solenoid,

be DAMN sure you disconnect the battery BEFORE you start replacing the solenoid. :)

>occasionally it is not engaging the starter and the front end squeaks a >bit and I here this when manoevering into parking spaces--this seems to >be coming from the steering.

there is a little rubber boot at the bottom on the steering column that used to squeek like hell on me in cold weather ... until i greased the pee-loving-crap out of it one day! :)

>BTW, the mileage isn't as bad as I thought it would be--getting around >17mpg in town with some freeway driving. Looks like I'll just have to

actually, that's not THAT bad for atlanta ... consider that you are just about ALWAYS accelerating. you need to run down to savannah or columbus and see what you can get on a 'real' trip. :)

joel