Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Nov 1994 20:34:26 -0800 (PST)
From:         Jack Agnew <jagnew@svpal.org>
Subject:      Re: Request Help On Antenna Installation

On Wed, 16 Nov 1994 BHOPE@oavax.csuchico.edu wrote:

> The antenna on my 86 vanagon broke off; the local VW people said that I needed > to replace the entire unit. Well I have the antenna unit but I's stuck in > terms of the installation. It seems that the antenna has to be installed from > the inside. That is, push the antenna through the hole from the inside and > then install the gasket and locking nut from the outside. However, I can't see > how to disassemble the dash plastic to install it from the inside. If anyone > could provides some assistance, I would be most grateful. Thanks!

I ran into the same thing and found there is a blind area behind the dash that contains the main antennae unit with an extension running down behind the headlight. After a few tries, I decided against trying to replace the thing and went for a different fix. I took a 4" piece of thin metal rod stock that I got at a local model store and stuffed it into the broken end of the antennae. That puts about 3" in the old antennae tube and leaves a 1" solid stub. To that I attached a very flexible replacement antennae from Radio Shack. Not too elegant, but it works well. Not as efficient as the original for fringe area reception, but quite acceptable in town.

If anyone knows an easy way to remove/replace the entire antennae assembly, I would sure like to hear it. My local VW shop didn't have a clue and after nearly dismanteling the entire front end of my '86, I gave up. - Jack