Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Nov 94 12:40:12 AST
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: stove=heater=safe?

As both a long (6mos.) and short (<5day) term occupant of a bus in winter periods I have NEVER EVER left any form of combustion heater running for more than the 10 minutes required to take the chill off the inside, AND ONLY when wide awake. I expect to sit round in a down vest etc, with booties on. I don't expect to live like I do at home. Think how much better off you are than being in a tent!!! Cook your breakfast or whatever dressed and sitting up, that's the only safe use of a stove. Don't try to warm the van while in bed, unless your system is on a (working!) timer, like the gasheaters. If it gets warm I gets sleepy, and that's a good way to die, whether it's from CO poisoning or O2 depletion who cares. The only heater I 'trust' is a thermostatically controlled electric fan heater, all others can be "dial a death" systems. Garths note was not trivial, CO kills really well, remember that for when you want to suicide out. Buy a good sleeping bag! If you're going for "warm and toasty all night" with a non-electric heater please put me in your will as next owner of your bus. TIA. tim s.