Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         18 Nov 94 03:51 PST
From:         YTEH9301@bcit.bc.ca
Subject:      Tires AGAIN!

FROM: H YATES

Hi Charles. I went this ordeal a few years ago as well. I ended up with an excellent set of tires to replace the originals. They are Yokohama Y370 in LT195 75/R14 size. I run them 43 psi front and 53 psi rear. No sway, excellent all weather traction, and man, can the van ever corner well! These tires make the van stick to the road big time. I am now on my second set of these tires, and am very impressed.. does it show? :)

The Yokohamas are a D load rating tires, and will hold over 1750 pounds each at 65 psi!!!... although you will need steel valve stems for over 55 psi.

These tires wear extremely well, and are beautifully made. They all have less than half an ounce of weight, and one tire has NONE! They are smooth and quiet as well. I was so impressed with Yokohamas on my van, I put a set of 382's on my Golf! Same results there as well...

I have a Syncro Westy, and my choice of tires is even more limited due to the additional weight. Hope this helps.

Thx. Harry Computer Operations__Internet: YTEH9301@BCIT.BC.CA Ph: 604 - 432-8246 ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Received: from mozart.bcit.bc.ca by BCITVM.BCIT.BC.CA (IBM VM SMTP V2R2) with TCP; Fri, 18 Nov 94 03:50:59 PST Received: from hub2.tc.umn.edu (hub2.tc.umn.edu [128.101.131.1]) by mozart.bcit.bc.ca with SMTP (8.6.8/BCIT-1.3H) id DAA22357 for <yteh9301@bcitvm.bcit.bc.ca> (from vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu); Fri, 18 Nov 1994 03:54:42 -0800 Received: from halfdan.med.umn.edu by hub2.tc.umn.edu id SMTP-0012ecc9536008956; Fri, 18 Nov 94 05:51:18 -0600 Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 05:51:12 CST Received: from (localhost) by halfdan.med.umn.edu; Fri, 18 Nov 94 05:51:12 CS T Message-Id: <9411180013.AA03536@earth.rocket.com> Errors-To: gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu Reply-To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Originator: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Precedence: bulk From: cev@rocket.com (Charles E. Vaughan) To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> Subject: Tires AGAIN! X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0c -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas X-Mailer: <PC Eudora Version 1.4>

My wife took the Vanagon in to get a pair of tires. I went through the regular warnings like "you know they never have the high pressure radials in stock so make them show you the pressure rating". Both my wife and the tire store went through this drill 2 years ago, but...

As usual when she got home the tires only had a 40 psia pressure rating. These are Michelin XZX 185R14. The 55 psia tires they replaced were Michelin XZX 185R14 *C*. I have been very happy with the "C" tires but my experience with any lower pressure tire on the rear of the vehicle inflated below 45 psia is that it sways and is more unstable than usual at highway speed. The ply ratings are identical on the tires. The load rating on the "C's" is 1710 lb. on the "non-C's" its around 1500 lb.

The store will replace them when they get the others in (Evans Tire at Alderwood for Seattlites) and gave us no hassle. Any recommendations?

Charles Vaughan deflated 15 psia in Woodinville, WA cev@rocket.com '85 GL