Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Nov 1994 19:24:25 -0600 (CST)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      installing self-retracting seat belts in older busses

Hi everyone!

I remember at least one person inquiring about the installation of self-retracting seat belts in older buses. Mine is a 75. Well, I did just that this week and --as usual-- it turned out to be more work than expected.

The problem is to find seat belts where 1) the belt is long enough and 2) where the spooling device can be bolted down horizontally. I also recommend that you take your belts from metric cars which use the same 17mm bolts.

First I took the 2 seat belts from the front of an 88 Volvo 240. But it turned out that they only work when they are bolted onto a vertical surface such as the beam between the front and the back door. Once tilted, they lock.

So I took the belts from the rear of the Volvo; their spooling devices lie flat on the back shelf. Unfortunately, the actual belts were too short by about 3 feet (1 meter). :-(

The solution was to remove the belts from the front mechanisms and attach them to the rear spooling devices. This can be done by completely unrolling the belt and revealing the cylinder in the middle. Use a small screwdriver and put it through the slot of the cylinder so it doesn't spool back. Then push the belt through the slot, remove the large pin at the end of the belt and then pull the belt out of the slot. Installation is the reverse of removal. TADAAA!

I realize that this description may probably not be clear enough. So feel free ask for clarifications if you want to go ahead and do the same.

Also: I replaced the ridiculous front seats with those of that Volvo and those are really comfy. Heated, too! They fit nicely and are not too high. Only needed to drill 4 holes for each seat and bolted them right in. No other alterations and if I want i can easily put the stock seats back in (that's for the purists among you:)). Thanks to you, John Ritchie, for sharing your own experience with this sort of project. I was lucky, though, because the distance between the 2 tracks of the Volvo seat was (almost) the same as that from the bus and so I didn't have to build any interface.

Sami and his Fun-Mobile

-- Sami Dakhlia Dept. of Economics Washington-University-in-St.Louis In theory, communism works. In THEORY. dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu -Homer Simpson