Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 1994 22:08:13 -0500
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Class III Trailer Hitch Offer

This notice describes a one time opportunity for anyone who wants a killer trailer hitch to get a Class III hitch. These are not otherwise available in the USA, or anywhere that I know of, for that matter..

My mechanic, one of the most knowledgeable Vanagon machanics in the USA, is custom building a Class III trailer hitch for his two Syncro vanagons (one is a camper; one is not). He called me to ask me if I wanted him to custom build me one too and told me he is going to manufacture a limited "production run" of these things.

There are no Class III trailer hitches made for the Vanagon so I took notice. A Class III hitch can tow a house around. The strongest trailer hitch for the vanagon made is a Class I trailer hitch but to my knowledge, it doesn't even meet Class I standards so you really cannot tow anything of any significance.

Realizing this is a one time opportunity I told him to make me up one too and to design it so that it will protect the corner of the vanagon from a hit. (As you all know, if you get hit in the rear corner your van will sustain $3,000 of damage since the bumper simply crumples in. This has happened to me twice!). (Isn't it a pity that 65% of vanagons have the end of their rear bumpers crumpled in?)

A class III trailer hitch will also ensure that someone who hits you from behind will destroy their car while yours will sustain minimal damage.

I think he said the price would be around $200 or possibly less depending on how many trailer hitches are manufactured. You retain your stock bumper in this setup. Installed is actually a receiver. When you want a trailer hitch, you stick in in the receiver hole. My mechanic plans to use the hole to put one of those basket things on the rear of the van--these are those baskets that stick in a trailer hitch hole and that stick out behind the van and hold stuff.

Anyone who has ever wanted a trailer hitch who wants in on this project should e-mail me. This is trailer hitch heaven.

derekdrew@aol.com