Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Nov 1994 22:07:58 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      '56 Kombi Update - Rockers and Windows

Howdy!

Tonight I put in a little time on the bus, and even got the SO to pitch in!

Amy worked on doing the filling on the new rocker panel after I ground the welds down. She's quite good at the bondo-thing, and quite consertative at it as well.

We also put the driver's window back in, after a frantic search thru the entire house for some string. I ended up using a strip of RJ11 instead. I still worked, but I couldn't loop it back over properly, so it took a little bit of persuasion to get the last 3" in (Doesn't it always! :)

Putting in these windows is definitely a 2-person job!

I then started on the passenger side rocker panel. This one looked almost OK from the outside, but was actually rused worse on the inside! The inside of the rocker panel under the cargo doors is just plain, bare metal! No wonder they rust out in only 35 years! Geeeez!

Also, a word on replacement panels. I bought the out rockers from Wolfsburg West, and I need to point out a couple of things. First, Its gonna take some fiddling to get them to fit right, and second, on the cargo side rockers, the catalog is misleading. It says "includes inner rocker" but in real life it doesn't. You still will need to put in a complete inner rocker, if the old one is rusty, and not just the section beneath the doors. What they meand was the rocker pice for under the doors has a piece welded to it, like the factory one, but that has to do with reinforcing the door, and not being the inner rocker. The other lame thing about WW is they don't actually have the inner rockers, so you have to go somewhere else, like RMMW ($38) or Das Bulli Haus ($23). You decide!

Well, Sunday is Guibo day for the BMW, so I don't know if I'll get to the bus or not :(

Also, if any of you end up involved doing any of this stuff I've been doing for mine, gimme a holler and I can prolly give pointers (++(*p))

Thom -- >> "Criminal Lawyer" is a redundancy. ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : Systems Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................ All opinions expressed herein are mine and not necessarily those of TIMS!