Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 94 8:54:40 PST
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Engine Disassembly, EGR, Air Pump

Peter Williams writes: > > Some of the tin is very rough (rusty). In fact, it is a real mother getting > the screws out (screwdriver ...nope... vise grips ...nope... > chisel...nope... drill). What is recommended for cleaning up old engine > tin?

Take it all to a machine shop and have it "hot-tanked". Then paint it your favorite shade...

> Not to my suprise, the air pump is frozen solid and the EGR is all clogged > up. Disposing of the air pump and associated equipment appears trivial, > but I am not sure how the EGR system is attached to the heads. A pretty > wimpy peice of pipe sticks out of each head near the intake port. Is it > possible to remove this and plug the hole? I expect that a motor tuned to > run without the aforementioned pollution controls will pollute less than > with non-functioning pollution controls attached.

Yes, those "pieces of pipe" simply unscrew from the heads. > > I have seen big-bore cylinders advertised for the 1700 (96mm vs 90mm) are > these an easy swap, and would there be a noticeable increase in power > without replacing the stock Solex's or exhaust?

They are an easy swap, yes. If I'm not mistaken, 90mm = 1700cc, 93mm = 1800cc, and 96mm = 1900cc. I had the latter on my bus when I got it, and the motor was in sad shape. Upon examination, I decided that the 1900cc kit had *very* thin cylinder walls - too thin. So, when I rebuilt the motor I went with the 1800cc kit (93mm, I think). I don't know if it made a difference in power, because It never ran well as a 1.9. If I had it to do over again (and I'm sure I will, shortly) I will swap the internals for 2 liter parts (rods, crank, pistons & liners). It's a direct swap, and the extra displacement comes from a longer stroke, not thinner cylinder walls (I think the 2 liter cylinders are 91mm bore).

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================