Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 94 09:51:43 AST
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Flywheel problems!

>Found out the problem is my flywheel is coming loose. The motor has been >out three time to fix it. The dowles (spelling) seem to be moving, causing >the flywheel (and the spots where the dowles are) to elongate. Can anyone >fill me in on what the hell is happening. The motor is great. Could it be >the crank?? > >Any constructive anwers would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep my >bus, but tempers are flying. :-) >

Having done this myself, ahem...... The rebuilder probably didn't use a new locking plate under the 5 big bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. The underside of the bolt head is serrated, and bites into the lock plate, a thin tin disc about 2 inches in diameter. Turning it over once MAY work, but a fresh plate EACH time is best. Once you get the dreaded hammering noise coming from inside the engine, you've already done some damage. I got away with just a new flywheel (used!). But I had only idled/revved the thing in a parking lot while setting the timing after a rebuild. It was loud. The dowls are made of hardened steel, they'll likely have survived the hammering, but they may be loose, which makes them worthless. So, check out the crank careully for 'abuse' first, then ditch the old flywheel, it sounds like it's shot already. Get a NEW lockplate, and tighten the bolts to specs. You could use some locktite on the threads also as backup, but it shouldn't be needed!!. I don't have any advice about crank refurbishing, if it's shot it may require a new one and total rebuild, anyone with experience out there? good luck, tim s.