Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Nov 94 10:37:48 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Cable Replacement??

> Jan Allbright is in the clutches of clutchlessness......

> What Fun!!! > > Yesterday my clutch cable seperated on my 72 bus - 8( > > So, tell me...How do you replace one of these things? I have done it > in a bug (had to remove the pedal assembly..) I know what it loos like > on the rear, what about the front? What needs to be taken off? > > Any and all help greatly appreciated! >

I've done this repair (on my '72 even, when I had it) and it is no big deal.

There's a wing nut on the clutch end which has to come off. The clutch pedal/ lever assembly is held in by two bolts in the front left wheel well on the frame rail. Pull the old pieces out. The manual won't tell you to do it, but I undo the Bowden tube - the flexible hose like thing that the cable runs through next to the transaxle - where it is bracketed to the transaxle so that it can straighten out. This may seem like more work, but if you don't do it I can guarantee that you will spend a lot of time cursing trying to get the cable to go the last foot when pushing it from the front. Feed the new one from the front of the bus. I put grease on the part that is going to end up in the Bowden tube and on the pin and linkage at the pedal end. After it's all the way through, put the Bowden tube back up on the transaxle, adjust it's "droop" according to the manual, adjust the clutch and you are done.

The cables are about $10. I carry a spare so that clutchless shifting can be kept to minimum.

By the way, I know from your trailer that you work in nearby Mountain View. If you want some help with this, I'm in Palo Alto.

Dave Kautz '74 Westfalia

P.S. After reading all the accounts of O2 sensors, airbox flowmeters etc. those twin carbs (mine are nicknamed Montague and Capulet) are looking better all the time, huh?

nearby Mountain View