Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 1994 16:19:16 -0500 (EST)
From:         rbf@epix.net
Subject:      New member's starting problem

Hi, everybody. I'm new to this list, posting from Allentown, PA. I bought an '84 Vanagon with 144K miles on it about 2 weeks ago. I've been really happy with it until the day before yesterday. Then my problem started.

>From a cold start, I drove about 4 blocks, stopped briefly at a bank machine, then restarted normally. I drove back to the corner of my block and stopped, again briefly, at a convenience store. When I tried to restart the van again, it turned over normally but would not start. I tried and tried, but no luck. I left it alone for an hour or so while I licked my wounds at home. Finally I returned with my son to do some serious damage, but, with one more try, it did start up, though with some difficulty. I drove around for awhile to recharge the battery, and everything was fine. I assumed I had inadvertantly flooded it and vowed to never even touch the gas pedal while starting. But it happened again today.

I drove about 4 miles from work to that same darned bank machine, turned the van off briefly, and it refused to start again. It sits there now as I wait for both of us to cool off. Can anyone help?

P.S. What is the title of the Peterson book I've seen mentioned? I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Thanks.