Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Nov 1994 15:56:37 EDT
From:         William GoldBerg <BGOLD@BSS2.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      1980 Vanagon with a problem, HELP!!!

My housemate has a 1980 Vanagon. He is blowing oil through his muffler. My assumption is a blown ring (at least one). Any other possbilities? Any ways to assure of either this or a different problem (without taking the engine out, taking the heads off, etc, etc).

Here is another curiosity, which led me to discover the oil through the muffler. He was driving on the highway, doing about 65 when he suddenly lost a lot of power, slowed him down to about 40. In a short span of time he was back up to 70, no problem. This happened a few times. I at first assumed blown front seal and oil on the clutch plate. No oil on the ground, and then we noticed the oil coming from the muffler. I stuck my hand in front of it, and my hand was covered in splotches of oil.

Any suggestions? Clues? Advice!

See my next post about house karma nd Volkswagens. You'll love it! 1980 Vanagon with a problem, HELP!!! ------------------------------