Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:45:24 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Re: thermostat:

The '80-'89 Bentley manual list an ambient air temp sw on current track 15 but the schematic doesn't show a separate one like on '86 on. THere is however what appears to be a switch in-line with the compressor relay,integral to the dash mounted switch, that is in addition to the ac thermostat switch, which also controls the compressor(Love that Sentence Structure). I would bet that on the 84- 85 the ambient air temp sensor is integral to the dash-mounted fan- speed/air cond temp switch.

Currently, we are having unseasonable warm temps in Northern Minn. It's actually 32.3 F as I write this(I take temps for the Nat Weather Serv.). Soon it will drop to -35 F and I'll be able to test all our theories on ambient air switches. This is how I've gotten my ac compressor to run in winter (real winters, mind y'all). Since I don't have a heated gargage, I take the van into our local heated car wash, wash all the salt off (why plow roads when you can just salt the $%#& out of 'em?), and when I drive out the van is warm enough to activate the ac for a brief but satisfying period.

Now to cast doubt on my above theory, if I am correct in the location being integral to the dash switch, I should be able to activate the compressor anytime the interior is warm enough (actually, a not altogether frequent occurence). I don't remember that being the case! The things we are oblivious to, eh? Cold weather testing to take place shortly!

Daniel Houg Minnesota Department of Health Internet Address: fairwind@northernnet.com Fax #: 218/755-3823