Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Dec 94 23:29:53 PST
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Found: Type II graveyard

Hey everyone: I took the Mustang up to Carlsbad to go racing today, and promptly got lost. While I was wondering around the back streets, I noticed a large number of VW vans sitting in a lot, and drove up to investigate. Turns out the place was a wrecking yard, but not the typical type that I usually go to.

The place is called Interstate VW, and apparently they are not a licensed auto dismantler, but just a family of people who decided they wanted to have a VW junkyard. (??) They were very friendly, and let me poke around in their lot. I'd say there were at least 30 busses there, mostly bay-window but with several vanagons and a couple splits too. They had a huge stack of heat exchangers ($25-50 each) and of importance was a 72-74 bus style drivers side heat exchanger that was almost new! Still had grey paint on it. I asked the owner about gas heaters, and he said, "You know, people just weren't interested in them, so I put them all in storage. I have about 25 of them from all types of VW's (some type II's) and I want to sell them as a lot. On the other hand, I just sold one to a guy yesterday for $75. How much for the whole lot? Well, I'd like to get $50 each or around there". He also mentioned that he only wanted to sell the heaters as units (sorry Jack R.).

Now I don't suppose anyone here would be interested in buying the whole lot of them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Anyway, I talked to the wife of the owner, who was doing some paperwork at the desk, for awhile. I tried to find out if she had access to internet (she didn't) and I spent the next fifteen minutes trying to convince her that she *needed* a computer and a compuserve account so they could join the list! :)

Anyway, here is the information for this junkyard (from their business card):

Interstate V.W. Used Parts and Core Co. Site Address: 1303 Engineer Street, Vista, Ca. 92083 Mailing Address: 770 Sycamore Ave. Ste J # 127 Vista, Ca. 92083 (619) 598-1376 JIM LUCCA (owner guy, I guess)

Cheers, -David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================