Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 1994 07:03:07 -0600 (CST)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Flush and Fill (Post Mortem)

>From sstones@io.org Sun Dec 4 00:00:04 1994

On Sat, 3 Dec 1994, Gerald Skerbitz wrote:

> I never got 2 gallons in mine. Of course, the bleeding thing is weird to me > anway. If I open my expansion tank while the engine is running, coolant > runs all over the ground, so how can one bleed it? Even revving it > really high, it runs all over the ground. Maybe I don't have the front > raised high enough? I like the coke bottle idea, but the same goes > there. If I open the bleed screw at the front, coolant just pours onto > the ground ( and would fill the coke bottle in a hurry.) >

If coolant is flowing out of the bleed screw, The rad's full. It doesn't need to be bled. You aren't sopposed to open the expansion tank with the engine running

and to Donald, who asked what the overflow tank was for... When the coolant heats up it expands, taking up more room (that's why you open the bleeder screw when the engine is getting hotter) In the confines of the coolant system it is restricted from expanding therefore building up pressure. When the pressure gets greater than what the cap is set for, the cap allows it to flow through that little braided hose into the overflow tank. When the engine cools off, it sucks it back into the engine. I don't know what your white smoke is... I'd have to see/smell/feel it. sorry.

> > Indeed, the more information we can gather on bleeding, the better. Does > anyone else raise the rear, and can anyone else say why one > should/shouldn't do so? I can think of some reasons, but I have to go > work on my intake air hose which has a BIG crack in it. No wonder this > thing always runs a little rough.

I've parked it back end high for initial filling, then front high for bleeding.

Cheers

<sstones@io.org> SStones Toronto, Ontario.