Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:34:11 -0800
From:         wabbott@townshend.Corp.Megatest.COM (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Do I need professional help?

Dan, I had some of the same inpulses to tinker when I bought my 914. I found that continual tinkering was much less rewarding that I had thought- I don't go looking for trouble anymore. Ask yourself these questions: 1) Do I have 2-4 hours EVERY weekend that I don't have any use for? 2) Are my yard and house in stable condition that I'm happy with? 3) Can I live with an intermitantly opperable vehicle? 4) Does working on old cars, by myself, under time pressure, make me REALLY happy? 5) Does my SO think of this as self-expression, or regression?

If you can answer YES to 1-4, go for it!!!

For myself, I found that I was bothered by cars that didn't work, and so wanted all the cars kept in working condtion all the time. This is very good, since parts never get lost, but it means you work harder and longer than on a pure 'hobby'.

Having said all that, I'm now seriously considering a 1970 single-cab I've found- its $1200, white, re-painted once, same color, has new gates, a blown engine, needs two CV boots and maybe joints too, no major colision damage or rust, doorlocks and under-bed-compartment locks are trashed, master cyclender boot is shot, may need a new master cyclender. Talking it over with my brother, we've mapped out two days of repair work- one day to fix the CVs, surface rust under the bed (shoot rust-converer, then primer and paint) and replace the brake master cylinder. Oh yeah, repair the battery tray as long as the engine is out too. Note that this day is starting to sound like a whole weekend.

The next day is for installing a complete, built-up, new, stock, smog-legal, engine with hydralic lifters and a new clutch. The night before, all the sheet-metal bits get installed.

These two days will make it drivable, smog-able and let me feel good about it.

The next project is to drill-out the destroyed bagage compartment latches and put in new latches, a new passanger side door lock, new roll-up window seals, inner and outer, take care of the worst rust on the outside (driver's door, near the window, and front of the bed)

After that, a thorough cleaning- inside and out, including wash and wax. THEN fabricate a wooden bed liner, replace the sun-visor clips, relocate the previous-previous-owner-installed speaker boxes that block the fuse pannel on the drive's side.

After all those preliminaries are through, I can start overhauling the 1971 front axle that comes with it, so I can upgrade to disc brakes. And since it's on 15" wheels, finding 14" wheels and tires is also a project.

Dan, if this sounds like fun, then, maybe, an old bus will be fun for you too. (You can save all this effort by buying one in good condition, of course, if you find what you're looking for.

Cheers! Bill Abbott

93 Corrado, Wannacrewcaborpickup, Cats: Moustache and Georgi Zhukov Best Fish recipe: Pan Blackened Catfish Favorite flannel pattern: McNab (natch!)

/\_/\ //o o\\ <<==Y==>> "growing whiskers and a tail!" mm,\C/,mm