Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Dec 94 11:30:33 PST
From:         Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Do I need professional help?

> Dan Houg opens his heart....

> Hello group- > I am soliciting advice. All opinions welcome, from 'you're #$%&ing > crazy' to 'welcome brethren' Here's my situation: > > Currently I own an '85 Weekender. Usual assortment of problems/joys. > I will be selling my 850 Norton Commando due to a longing to keep my > skull intact for my family (2 young kids, fun wife etc.). I am > contemplating turning the money from the Norton over into an > AIRCOOLED mid 70's camper while still retaining the '85 for day-today > use. The aircooled would be a long-term fixup project (something to > tinker with). > > My question is this, and I know it's a very personal one but I'd like > input... ** Am I getting into a continual nightmare of niggling repairs > and nickel/diming me to death or are the joys of uniqueness, > comaraderie (watercoolers don't wave to each other), worth the > frustrations?** I am mechanically able but with fairly significant > time commitments. Is it crazy to own one of each? Will you folks > support me? Will you answer my newbie aircooled questions with the patience > of an understanding parent? Will Lassie ever come home? > > Thanks for listening. > Dan (am I crazy?) Houg '85 Weekender and counting... >

You asked for it so here it is:

First of all - Do not sell the Norton, you WILL regret it. Once you have motorcycles in your blood, they are there forever. I have 3 kids and just ride carefully - I'm a believer that excessive speed has a lot to do with the frequency of motorcycle accidents. Besides, having a parent who rides a motorcycle seems to attenuate interest in cycles by the kids. It's them you don't want riding, right?

Second: Everybody knows in their heart of hearts that all REAL VW buses are aircooled (that should get me in some trouble....). My experience, after owning 3 campers: a '64, a '72 and a '74, is that the Type IV engine buses are mechanically very solid if every single piece of rubber in the engine compartment is changed once every five years. Almost all the problems I've experienced have been due to a cracked rubber elbow, a leaking fuel line, etc. My '64 had an appetite for exhaust valves, usually breaking the number three, ingesting it into the cylinder, trashing all related parts and immobilizing the vehicle. I have NEVER been stranded, knock on wood, by either of the other buses.

The wife and I have been living by an automotive philosophy which could be called the "Multiple Heap Credo". The hypothesis is this: Several old cars will serve your transportation needs better than a smaller number of new ones. Generally, one or more of them is running - When one won't start, you take another and deal with the first one when it is convenient for YOU. This automotive lifestyle allows you to have a variety of vehicles. The wife enjoys her '73 MGB most of the time. When she has to haul large quantities of kids, there is a '77 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon. Said Custom Cruiser is also good for hauling plywood or trips to the dump. When we go out as a family, we take the '74 Westfalia - the hands down favorite travelling vehicle of everyone. We also have an '82 Nissan POS sedan for when the MG isn't running. I will also claim that all these vehicle save money. The only place you get nailed is insurance. We buy liability only at about $325 per car per year. Registration and tax cost is low because everything is old and most other costs like fuel, oil, tires etc. are usage based and the sum total of miles driven is similar to what would be accumulated on fewer cars.

So, you ask whether an old bus would nickel and dime you? Yes it would, but the nickel and dime stuff are your ONLY expenses. There are no payments, no big registration bills, no big "gotta keep it under warranty" dealer service bills. You work on it when you have time and when you feel like it - not because you need it to get to work.

Go for it! And get the SO something she's always wanted. Then there will be plenty of cars around so when your kids need to use one, you won't be stuck at home.

I realize that there is much more answer here than there was question. My apologies to anyone who has waded through it all. Sure beats working!

Dave Kautz dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com '74 Westfalia and other heaps