Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:50:44 -0700 (MST)
From:         Dave Black <dblack@argus.lowell.edu>
Subject:      Westy update

Here's a short summary of the status of my formerly topless '71 Westfalia (for those who didn't read my post some weeks ago, basically what happened is that my Westfalia was being transported to Arizona from California, and the moving company managed to hit a freeway underpass with my car and rip the fiberglass top off):

I went to look at it this weekend, and boy, it sure looks good! The "new" fiberglass top has been sanded and painted (looks shiny and new), they have repaired and painted the top of the van, the new canvas is nearly completely installed (quality of material doesn't seem as good as the original, tho), and new rubber seals are installed. From the rain gutter up, the thing looks brand new! (also a new wood headliner!)

The guy doing the work initially offered me what amounted to $3300 for it, but I turned him down, cause it's worth more to me as it is than any money I could get for it. The rest of the interior is in pretty good shape (and they are also going to replace the carpeting on the floor), the engine is fresh (<3000mi on rebuild), and except for the exterior paint, the body is in good shape (it also has brand new Uniroyal LT radials). It will probably be ready for me to pick up this coming weekend, and believe me, I'm excited about finally getting it back! And to think, I nearly sold it before I left CA!

Dave (dblack@argus.lowell.edu) '71 Westfalia & SB