Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 1994 18:12:59 -0800 (PST)
From:         H Steven Dolan <dworkin@netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: Help me! I've just purchased a pit to throw money into!

On Tue, 6 Dec 1994, Alice C. Gibb wrote:

> Actually, there is little wrong with the engine, per se (except some > misguided previous owner removed the cooling flaps from the engine and to > replace them is $350),

If you want this done, have a shop do it. You got to pull and strip the engine to get to the flaps. A major pain. IMHO, this is a repair not worth doing, but if you want to or must, definitely shop work.

> but the fuel lines need replacing ($375)

Easy to do yourself. All the bits are right out in the open. Lay the replacement parts on top of the old parts and unscrew clamps one at a time. Use only new clamps, and rubber. See below for fuel manifold.

> and the brake rotors need replacing (I'm not sure how much this is > going to run us).

Also do this yourself. New rotors (for a '78) were ~50.00 at my FLAPS. Yours shouldn't be much more. Installation is easy, all you need that you don't have immediately at hand is the right socket for the calipers, and a 1/2" drive bar (both under $25.00 at Sears). While you are at it, do the pads and springs. Your new rotors will thank you.

> Plus we need a lot of other long term stuff done (front shocks, etc.)

Bad shocks (~$25.00) wear out good tires (~70.00) real fast.

> He mentioned a few things that are just expensive because VW parts are such > a rip-off. Does anyone think I would have much luck getting the following > things from a junkyard? > > Driver's side window regulator

Yes, but a knuckle busting bear to get out or in. Do-able, but ouch!

> Sliding door locking mechanism

If you are very, very lucky. These break way too often. and are among the first things stripped of a bus as it comes thru the gate.

> replacment muffler (can we replace the muffer ourselves or is this a pro job?)

Don't bother, buy new. You *can* do it, but remember all's fair in love and mufflers. Use the WD-40, use the wrenches, use the hacksaw, use the angle grinder, after all it's only 6 nuts, right? ;-)=

> EGR box

Only VW can sell you one (by law). I cut the ends off my old one when it rusted out and re-fastened the ends to the carb and muffler with a sheet of copper flashing sandwiched to seal each end. No one has noticed yet.

> windsheild (we have two small cracks in ours)

Junkyard for sure! I used to put them in myself (easy, but messy and nervous) until I found a local shop that would do it for 25.00. If not found at a junkyard, buy an aftermarket one. Not only are they cheaper, they leak less, IMHO.

> engine cooling flaps

See above.

> > I would appreciate advice from the wise ones on the net as to which if any > of these parts will be practical to get from junkyard dealers. >

Well, until Joel posts, here's my uninformed opinion. On the cooling flaps, exhaust, and fuel manifold, what I did was look for a dead engine with all three systems in place, bought the engine, and stripped what I needed. Consider doing the same. My dead engine cost only $150. YMMV

H Steven Dolan dworkin@netcom.com