Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 94 21:21:00 PST
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: Help me!  I've just purchased a pit to throw money into!

Alice C. Gibb writes: > > Our new baby ('81 Westy) just got its report card from the mechanic. I > lost track of the dollar amount that it is going to run, but I think it's > safe to say we won't be going on that round the world trip anytime soon. > Actually, there is little wrong with the engine, per se (except some > misguided previous owner removed the cooling flaps from the engine and to > replace them is $350), but the fuel lines need replacing ($375) and the > brake rotors need replacing (I'm not sure how much this is going to run > us). Plus we need a lot of other long term stuff done (front shocks, etc.)

Ohmigawd, not another mechanic trying to finance their kids college education on one job...

> He mentioned a few things that are just expensive because VW parts are such > a rip-off. Does anyone think I would have much luck getting the following > things from a junkyard? > > Driver's side window regulator

Shouldn't be a problem.

> Sliding door locking mechanism

Ditto.

> replacment muffler (can we replace the muffer ourselves or is this a pro job?)

As others have said, get a new, aftermarket one from a VW parts place (NOT the dealer). Getting the old exhaust off will likely be a bad job, you might want to consider having it done professionally.

> EGR box

Ugh. Don't know about this one.

> windsheild (we have two small cracks in ours)

I got my bay-window replaced for $65 ($35 for the window, used, $30 for the install). I got it done at one of the little auto-glass places that seem to be clustered around junkyards. There are surely some in your area.

> engine cooling flaps

Junkyard item. I wonder if the flaps from my 73 would fit? I think they are the same, and for the BARGAIN price of $200 I will drive up to Irvine and install them for you!! (just kidding, but please don't pay $375 for this!!!). I don't know about the Vanagon, but on my engine It only takes about 15 minutes to get the fan housing off, which is all one would have to do to install that puppy. Your mechanic is taking you for a R-I-D-E.

Cheers, -David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================