Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Dec 94 8:11:14 PST
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak...the story continues...

So Alan Torrigino says: > I made a quick fix washer out of a matchbook cover, on the same pressure > relief valve while on the road this summer. The plastic valve was not > damaged but the side of the washer had blown out. But you're right. You > open the seat to look at the heater and there it sits peeing like a baby! > Raced to the nearest town and got a washer that fit at a auto parts store. >

Yep! Flew like a bat outta Hell last night from work (same difference ;) ) Of course there was a slow down on the freeway half way there (about 20 miles or so) finally got to downtown it was about 5:28 and Lasher VW closes at 5:30. I had previously arranged with the parts person to have the bleeder bolt (I bought one metal + seal and one plastic + seal) at the cashiers counter. Well I finally forced myself into the 10th St. off-ramp and got to the dealership and as I walked up I saw a lady walking in the middle of the lot (not a very big lot cause it's downtown) and asked her if they were closed. She said she didn't think I'd make it. Well, she went back in and let me pick up the parts. Salute! So I picked up my wife from work and we went for pizza. Pizzaria Classico is the a great place to go BTW. Great garlic chips (pizza with garlic cheese, Mmmmmm!)

Anyway, got home and had some fun gettin' the old remaining bleeder bolt out using a thin flat blade screwdriver and some other narrow tipped goodies. ;) Put the new plastic one in and had Linda run the car at 2K RPM and observed. After dabbing the area off with a towel, there was still some coolant coming out of the bleeder bolt. So I deftly tightened it, cause I felt that it was snug enough already and the leak appeared to stop. I had Linda rev it up to 3K RPM and watched some more. Nothing changed so I felt satisfied that it was okay. I didn't get to bleeding it cause I wanted to be careful and not be tired, so I stopped. I'll get to it tonight and will otherwise clean up the bottom of the bench area and keep and eye on it to make sure it's okay.

Thanks heartily to all of you who helped and donated info.

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com