Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Dec 1994 11:53:05 -0500 (EST)
From:         sstones <sstones@io.org>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Flush and Fill (Post Mortem)

On Sun, 4 Dec 1994, Donald Baxter wrote:

> Post-Post Mortem actually. > > The bus is fine with the new coolant, I do not think it overheated, I > think I was tripping the low coolant switch on the overflow tank. The > light was flashing, not steady (responding to Mr. Stones) but I don't > think that LED is wired to ever be steady. The temperature gauge needle > was sometimes registering the engine as cool when the light would flash.

I beleive it is flash for low level in the tank and steady for real hot. I don't know, I've never gotten steady either but I may have read it somewhere... I don't know why else I would think that. (Hallucination?)

> > I still don't have an answer about why the bus would not fill with the > front raised. I filled it with the back raised, and bled it in this > position as well. I suppose now that it is full, to be safe, I will > bleed it with the front raised again (my neighbors here in Midtown > Atlanta are getting a real kick out of all this, BTW).

Yeah... when it's cool, top up both tanks(exp. + overflow), start it up and bleed it with the front end up... Just to make sure.

> > I think the white smoke, which disappears with the engine warm, is > nothing but exhaust system condensation-

Does it smell funny? If it were burning Ethylene glycol, It would probably have a noticable diffenence in exhaust smell (start it in the garage with the door closed) (NO DON"T) To me it smells like a kind of Maple Syrupy Curry type thing. But maybe that's just because I'm always hungry.

> (or do I have to bleed the #%&@* crankcase as well).

No that's what your PCV valve does for you (when it's working) So long as your coolant in both tanks is close to full... The cap ought to bleed that for you too.

Cheers

<sstones@io.org> SStones Toronto, Ontario.