Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jan 1995 10:09:18 -0500
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Digifant/Electronics Now Article

Yo Dudes.

If you will remember, about a month ago someone posted a note about an article in Electronics Now magazine by a technically oriented editor who owned a Vanagon and who, working in isolation from us, felt that he traced the hesitation/stalling problem back to a resistor in the Digifant system which has pins which are particularly hard to solder and which in many vans are inadequately soldered.

Well, I bought the February issue of Electronics Now to see his article and it happend to include his e-mail address. I fired off some technical information about the shuddering problem, including the tech bullitens from the factory recomending the auxiliary wiring harness for the air meter box.

Don Lancaster is the name of the writer/editor. He is probably the only guy I know to have tried to study the Digifant brain seriously and technically and to have gone in to it. If his theories are correct, we should all take our brains apart and study the offending resistor to see if they are correctly soldered. Anyway, he responded to my e-mail today and his response is reproduced below. His note indicates that he would like to join our Vanagon list. He has an '87 Syncro. Apparently he tried to subscribe to the vanagon list by sending e-mail to the list directly rather than the listserve.

Does anybody have a good all-purpose invitation to subscribe/instructions how to subscribe they could send him? And me, for that matter, so I can keep it on my hard drive.

I hope we stop getting bombarded with RETURN MAIL messages before he signs on. I wouldn't want him to get the wrong impression about our list.

Gerry where are you! :)