Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jan 1995 14:26:46 -0800
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (martha rubin)
Subject:      Re: Martha's van mods

Using a regular household hair dryer, I heated and softened the adhesive behind the contact-type plastic paper which previously lined by interior panels. Some of it was so delaminated it didn't require the extra use of the heat, other was stubborn even with it. If it was totally stuck on there, I cut around it and left it, feeling that if it had stayed that adhered after 14 years, it probably would be there for all time. BTW, I had to use a snap-knife to go around the edges, so that they would tear/pull-off cleanly.

Then, I went to a regular fabric store and bought some upholstery grade velour on sale for about $3 per yard (you'll be lucky if you find this price). Using Joel's favorite 3M brand Scotch spray adhesive called I think "77," I attached the velour. Sometimes I sprayed the fabric, other times the panel. It was hard in either case to avoid overspray, but I found I could get it off both the fabric and hard surfaces with spot remover (cleaning fluid, energine brand). This stuff is REALLY sticky! You have a couple of minutes to move it around, but it's basically dry, unlike say, wallpaper paste. You need to make sure to coat everywhere, and it adheres far better if you can coat both the fabric and the panels. After 5 minutes or so, or even the next day, I went around the edges and trimmed off the excess using again a snap knife (sort of a disposable verion of an exacto knife, or a razor blade might work, but better if you have something to hold it with). I did both the vertical panels this was, as well as the headliner area. They fabrics are a little different, and even different from the upholstery which I had done, but they are all of the same family, and sort of coordinate. I chose a slightly darker version for the sides, thinking it would show the dirt less. End result I think actually achieves some modicum of insulation properties, or perhaps it is my imagination, that the velvety surface "feels" warmer.

Hint: I recommend using either a solid color, or a pattern that does not require squaring or matching, as this gets to be a nightmare, and uses a lot of material. Also, it's a lot easier to get the adhesive off while it's pretty fresh, rather than later, but either way, it will still come off. I think 3M probably makes an adhesive remover, but I didn't happen to have any on the evening I started the project, so just kept with the cleaning fluid. Keep your fingers clean, or the 77 gets easily on the face of the fabric.

Next, I want to do black velvet with silver sparkles in the pop top ceiling, then glue glow-in-the-dark stars over it in proper constellation formations.

Note to Ric: Yeah, I did install those flannel handcuffs, but it was a real bummer trying to cut thru the mirrored ceilings to do it! ;)

/m