Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:53:39 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@superc.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Update from Tobin and Christa![F]

Hello gang!

Here's a mini-trip report so far. (You'll get the full scoop when we get back).

Before I get into this, though, we'd like to thank everyone who has been so hospitable to us. We have spent a great couple of days with David Schwarze, Jeff Scheitner spoiled us with pizza and more "camping" in his electricity bereft home, and Martha still gets the prize for hostess with the mostess. (Martha, give our love to Sarah, tell her not to move to Canada because the music scene is much better right where she is. . .visiting, even long term walk-abouting would be great, though, for both of you!). Thanks also to David Garth's offer of a place to stay in San Luis Obispo, but the rain and wind got so bad we decided to head straight for the desert in search of drier weather.

We left Big Sur and got the heck out of California after getting our heater looked at in Santa Cruz. First we high-rolled it at Vegas, winning $3.00 and losing $5.00 the next day (Tobin doesn't know when to stop), and then we moved on to the Grand Canyon. Truly amazing, and not at all touristy in the middle of winter. Inclement weather aside, I am happier and happier we had to take this trip in the very off season. No crowds, no traffic in the parks, easy to find camping. The trip back from the canyon was really beautiful and it finally started to warm up. We found a great Farmer's Market in Flagstaff, Arizona and bought some wonderful raspberry granola, and in Blythe we bought some great mexican tomato sauce for $0.33 a tin called El Pato tomato sauce (the duck tomato sauce?). MMMMM. Here at David's beautiful new condo in San Diego we have been feasting on pizza and champagne, changing oil and doing something important to the valves. Just a note: Bradley: We are not pirates, ay? It is eh, eh? On to Mexico today, and all the red tape for driving in has got us both nervous. It can't be as difficult as it seems right now, because millions of people make this trip all the time. We are looking forward to beach and sun and relaxing like we haven't ever done, not even on our honeymoon. When we get home, or even back to the states we will fill you in on our Mexican adventures. Much love to all of you. . ., it was great meeting some of you. Joel, if we change our plans can we come stay with you? I'm dying to know what you look like. Take care, everyone. Christa and Tobin :-) <-- sunny weather, finally