Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jan 1995 12:01:57 -0800 (PST)
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Antifreeze smell with heat

So Ervolina, Thomas R. says: > I looked at an '87 Vanagon last night (I'm still a wannabus) and smelled that > sweet smell when I turned the heat on. (I think it was mostly from the > rear heater). Is this something to be concerned about? > > FWIW, it's a 87 GL Wolfsburg with the weekender package, AC, 4spd, 105K mi, > in excellent condition. Asking 5500$. > > Tom Ervolina >

Well, I think Mr. Mead might have something to say about this. ;)

Check under the rear bench/bed seat. on the middle right there is a box that can be removed fairly easy. Just remove 3 screws and lift it out. You'll probably notice a blue puddle of (you guessed it) coolant, or green if the previous owner didn't use the right coolant. (Not a good sign). The leak will be either the bleeder screw, from the hoses, or the core itself. Wipe up the hoses and around the bleeder screw with a towel and then have someone else run the engine at 2000 rpm while you're peeking around to find where the leak is. If it's the bleeder screw or the hose(s), it will be pretty obvious. If it's the core is leaking, you'll have to unscrew/unbolt it so you can have a real good look-see to find the leak. Replacement cores are expensive. I've read $300 or so. Look for one in a wrecking yard if you need to. If the bleeder screw is leaking, just get another from VW with a gasket (about $2.00). If it's the hose(s), just replace them.

Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com