Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:50:17 -0500
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Front Floor Mats--Info Roundup

FLOOR MAT MADNESS by Derek Drew

As you will recall, I am on a quest to replace the two little front floor mats in my Vanagon. (Not the whole rug.) Various people have contributed posts and ideas, I have done some research, and I am a little deeper into this than I originally intended to get.

MOLDING MAKING

Firstly, I have rejected out of hand the idea of cutting my own front floor mat out of rug material found in the remnant pile in a rug shop, found by the side of the road, etc., since looks is important to me. At least one poster to the list suggested that you can cut out a piece of rug and then easily have the rug store "edge" it somehow--that is, place a molding around the edge so things look nice and tidy. This idea is intriguing to me--I'd like to have it done with some of the spare mats I made up for the back in the van, and I'd like to hear more from this poster on how it was done and how much it costs.

Nevertheless, I proceeded to collect information on pre-cut mats.

OUR SUPPLIERS

Firstly, I called the Parts Place (formerly Recycled Bugs/Recycled Rabbit) in Auburn Hills, Mi 373-5950 and they had a queer duck. They had an all-rubber set of front mats with the words "VANAGON" emblazoned flashily across the rubber. The amazing thing is that these mats cost only $30.

I immediately ordered a set thinking that they would be useful for when I was going on a four wheeling expedition in the spring (mud season). I don't intend to drive around with rubber mats ordinarily, however, so I kept looking.

I called up Lloyd Design Group and as suggested in this group, they won't sell to the public. The person who originallly posted a notice to us about the Lloyd mats suggested in his post (I cannot remember who told us about Lloyd) that the Lloyd mats were the original factory authorized mat. Anyway, Lloyd referred me to a place where I could mail order the mat for $69.95 from California Car Cover (818-998-2100). The problem with the Lloyd mat is that it doesn't have the nice little VW logo in a circle on it. The original mats I bought at a dealer once had this VW logo.

I called a local dealer here, and he said he could order a mat for $77. He had no idea about the fabric, whether the mat had a logo, etc.

Type II Enterprises had plenty of mats, and cheaper ones, but as I posted last week, they seem to be out of business.

West Coast Metric said they have no mats for the Vanagon. The guy at the Bus Boys said he wasn't aware of whether he has mats for the Vanagon and said he would check and call me back. I gave him the number for Lloyds in case he had to scare up a supplier. He never called me back. The people at Vantastics sounded pleased that I called for a Vanagon part but said they had no mats to sell yet.

An interesting company called Automat Co., Inc. of Hicksville, NY (516-938-7373) has plenty of mats for the Vanagon although I got the impressio n over the phone that they didn't have any made up but would make one up from a template they had for Vanagon upon my order. They seem to make mats for every vehicle on eath. They said that a mat set for the front would cost me $80 minus a 20% discount but that such a mat set would lack the VW logo. They said it would be $80 to have the VW logo cut into the carpet or $95 to have it embroidered into the logo.

Such decisions!

Or, they said I could have a one piece mat made up to cover the entire front of the vehicle for $120. Hummmm, I thought. I could get a one piece set made up to protect the rug when I was four wheeling. Nah, too expensive.

Now, Richard Smith and someone else posted in that we can just buy the JC Whitney mats. This sounds like it might be a good deal as the JC Whitney products often come in at a good discount (until you pay their outrageous shipping charges).

Richard suggests:

> They are medium/dark blue and match >the original carpet very nicely. There is no logo or anything but they >fit perfect. Go for the plush hi pile ones. Also bought the long narrow >one for the rear passenger seat area. Need a couple more of those to >really cover it all but at $20/piece it will be a couple pay days before >I order the other ones.

I have black front mats and these go well with the black/grey motif of the interior of a late model Vanagon so I think I will stick with black.

Anyway, now for the difficulty: there are *four* JC Whitney mats listed.

They are:

$55 nylon--"super thick nylon plush-cut pile" $39 polypropylene--"extra durable tufted-cut pile velour" $42 sisal--"world's strongest natural fibre" $39 cocoa--"natural fibre allows air to circulate freely ad moisture to evaporate"

Now, fellow Vanagonatics, how the heck am I supposed to choose between these four types of mats? Which one would *you* choose? Which one matches most closely the factory mat? Which one did you buy, Richard? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here is more data on the four types

NYLON: Feels great underfoot...wears beautifully...retains its velvety texture and lustrous appearance. Continuous filament carpeting is soft, dense, luxuaiant--and it won't ever shed. Nylong fibres are heat set to lock twist in the yarn and to ensure high density yarn bulk. Nonslip Backing. Drivers heel pad.

POLYPROPYLENE: Densely woven pile with soft, plush velour finish is long lasting expensive looking. Ribbed vinyl backing prevents slippage. Driver's heel pad.

SISAL: This is a sisal weave. Designed for beauty and long lastig protection.

Super tight weave captures dirt and grit...won't ravel or shred. Breathable weave assures good airflow to aid evaporation and to prevent mildew. Permanent color retention ...won't fade won;t bleed or stain carpet even when

wet. Extra strong and much more elegant than dealer installed vinyl or rubber mats. Custom tailored mats fit beautifullly and install flat or smooth. Dirt resistant, mildewproof and freezeproof. Vinyl heel pad on drivers' side.

COCOA: Natural cocoa fibre allows air to circulate. Comfortabel, good- looking, protection. Cocoa mats lie flat, won't curl at edges. Feels good under your feet, helps insulate. Trouble free cleanup--just brush the dirt off, Edges are bounded with color coordinated bynyl for durability. Vinyl heel pad on drivers side.

OK people, I think I am going to go insane...need help...

Derek