Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 95 10:02:26 MST
From:         lytle@noao.edu (Dyer Lytle)
Subject:      '72 bus CVs, rear bearings, and torsion bars?

Hi all,

Well, I'm planning to disassemble parts of the rear end of my '72 bus so that I can, at the very least, regrease the CV joints. There is a knocking back there that I hear when I drive over little bumps in the road that I'm thinking might be a CV joint problem. Also the CV boots are tearing a little where they are clamped to the axles so I want to replace all the boots.

Reading the pertinent sections of Bentley and Haynes (haven't gotten to Muir yet) I see other things that might be the problem and/or might need servicing while I've got things apart. Things like the wheel bearings and the rubber bushings under the spring plates. How hard is it to replace the rear wheel bearings assuming I have removed the axle assembly from the car? Will I need a hydraulic press? Can I use a three arm puller or just drift the races out with a proper sized socket? And the torsion bar bushings, how can I tell if these need replacement? What is the symptom of bad torsion bar/spring plate bushings?

I hope some of you have had some experience with these things. I will attempt to produce a detailed report of my experience when I am done, perhaps even with scanned in photographs on the WWW.

Thanks for any help in advance!

-Dyer

Dyer Lytle, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-323-4136 Internet: lytle@noao.edu WWW: http://iraf.noao.edu/~lytle/lytle.html