Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jan 95 10:42:29 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      story: 7 months in a 1967 Camper

7 Months in a VW Camper - Part Tne by Ernst A. Jahn POPULAR IMPORTED CARS, May 1967

My wife Edith and I decided to visit all Central and South American countries in our Volkswagen Camper as our share to the United Nations International Cooperation Year. We prepared for the trip for more than eight months, running into all sorts of problems with documentation and formalities. A $2,000 cash deposit had to be made to obtain the Carnet de Passage en Douanes, valuable for all South American countries, while Argentina required an additional $4,000 and Brazil $3,000 to enter their country by automobile. This is a security bond guaranteeing that one will not sell the car in those countries. A VW Camper in Chile, for example, is worth $10,000. The sums were refunded upon our return.

We left cold New York in December and returned 7 months later, after passing through 5 seasons, 21 foreign countries and driving 27,888 miles plus 270 miles by ship from Panama to Columbia and 4,066 miles by plane for the last leg of the return trip from Belem, Brazil to New York. We had spent $507 for gasoline and wore out two sets of tires. Our troubles and adventures were plentiful as we followed the Pan American Highway through Central and South America as far as we possibly could go: Belem on Brazil's mighty Amazon Delta. We never slept in hotels and, with half-a-dozen exceptions, did not eat in restaurants. A 2.5 gallon portable water tank and two spare wheels were our reserves. The tank we frequently replenished in ostensibly "safe" areas.

We had only the most necessary spare parts with us for the car such as spark plugs and points, extra sealed-beam headlights, a few bulbs, an extra spare wheel assembly, a fan belt and a few miscellaneous items including electrical wire, a water hose (to replenish water tank), insulation tape and asbestos sheets (for emergency replacement of seals). We also brought an electric refrigerator of the 12v-110v Bernzomatic type. A 6v to 110v inverter produced the voltage necessary for the operation of the portable refrigerator on 110v. I could also use my electric shaver and tape recorder this way. The battery drainage was so low as to be negligible. What we should have taken along were extra inner tubes, a tire repair kit, extra heavy six ply tires, a set of shock absorbers and a spare generator.

The lowest point of travel was the Salton Sea area in California, 235 ft. below sea level, while our highest was the ski resort area of Chacaltaya just outside La Paz, Bolivia, 17,384 ft. 20 per cent of all our travel was above 10,000 ft. altitude in the Andean highlands. The Volkswagen motor was not adjusted for the high altitude roads of the Andes but the car climbed the steep grades of the world's highest highway from Lima to La Oroya with an astonishing ease. About 70 per cent of the roads were paved; the rest were gravel and cobblestones. During the trip we suffered a few times from colds in the icy high mountains, even though it was their summer season. While I was shaving one morning in Mexico I heard Edith's loud scream. I found her writhing on the ground near our camping place and immediately thought that she had been bitten by a snake. "I tried to jump the ditch and slipped," she exclaimed half conscious. Relieved, I carried her to bed to treat a badly sprained ankle and served her an early morning cognac. Two days later my ex-ballet dancer wife, limping on one leg, managed to sprain the right ankle, too, thus excluding herself from the driving schedule for the rest of Central America.

The highlight of our trip was the visit to the ruins of the ancient Inca Empire of Machu Picchu near the South American archaeological capital and sacred city of Cuzco, Peru. Here on the steep slopes of a mountain, embraced by the roaring Urubamba River, deeply hidden in tropical jungle, the Incas artfully carved and ingeniously fitted together massive stones without the aid of mortar. In Cuzco, poncho-clad indians lead their their llama herds over narrow cobble- stone streets and hold their open market in the city squares. A shishkebab of llama meat bought on one of those markets caused Edith to get a bad allergy. Days later in a desolate Lake Titicaca region her allergy accompanied by spells of high fever turned worse. No pharmacy ... no doctor ... In a small village natives informed us of a first-aid station where an old Indian in a dark unclean room gave her a chlorine shot that fortunately helped. She was to sick to have objected.

People everywhere were quite surprised to see a foreign car equipped with a bed, kitchen and refrigerator, not to mention the running water. Many times we were surrounded during lunch stops or in the evenings and had to demonstrate our mobile home. In the equator village of San Antonio a proud father of 20 children asked us whether we were married. When he learned that we have recently had our second anniversary and no children yet, he cheerfully comforted Edith: "Don't give up hopes." At one time we parked opposite a college in Ibague, Columbia, and while I was taking pictures nearby, 60-70 students swarmed around the VW, some offering their autographed pictures to Edith. I had a hard time getting back to the car and even then they completely ignored me as her husband. This incident occurred in the midst of the dangerous Tolima Province where notorious bandits still kill people in villages and on highways in an undeclared civil war. Just a week before our arrival in this area bandits had held a raid and killed several natives in a large town. Even though we did not carry firearms we chanced this route, the only one we could travle south. Our nights were spent in the camper but always parked at gas stations between many long-distance trucks. Religious shrines alongside the highway indicated the execution of natives by rebels or location of fatal accidents on those ever twisting-winding-dropping and climbing roads.

We saw of course very little passenger car traffic , just trucks and busses overloaded with people and animals packed liked sardines in a can. Had we taken along the many fare-offering hitchhikers we encountered, we could have recouped our travel expenses but experience told us never to pick up strangers. Some of the toll roads in Columbia were in such poor condition that we almost insisted on being paid for using them.

La Paz, Boliva, the highest capital of the world is a gleaming gray city of faded red rooftops guarded by the towering snowy crest of Mount Illimani. We were thrilled by the spectacle of this picturesque town with its steep streets and breath-taking vistas. This city is noted for its lack of a fire department; even we had difficulties keeping a match or stove burning in this thin, cold air. Cut off from any ocean the country has all types of climates and 60 miles from La Paz we were swimming in rivers of the moist tropical Amazon basin. Most of the country's population consists of two types of Indians, the Quechuas and Aymaras. A visit to the pre-Inca Tiahuanaco monoliths and ruins gave us evidence of the life of two civilizations that once flourished here.

7 Months in a VW Camper - Part Two by Ernst A. Jahn POPULAR IMPORTED CARS, June 1967

Between Lake Titicaca and the Peruvian coast, on a 200 mile gravel and sand road with altitudes ranging from 15,700 feet to 1,500 feet, we had one flat tire too many with no service station anywhere. Rather than having one of us stay behind with the car, we made the next 30 miles on three tires and the one rim we had as a second spare. We moved 40 mph is drift-sand section to Tacna. The severely bent rim is presently being used by a Belem fisherman as a small boat anchoring weight.

Passing through many hundred miles of the world's wildest arid region, the Atacama desert in northern Chile, with no rainfall ever to give life to anything, we reached Santiago where we witnessed the greatest tragedy of the trip, the March 28 earthquake. We sat in our car, parked on the beach near Valparaiso, 15 feet from the thundering South Pacific, when the 85 seconds tremor shook our car and displaced everything inside. We were panic-stricken when we realized what had happened and thought of the enormous tidal wave that followed the 1960 earthquake in southern Chile, flooding thousands of acres of land and causing great loss of life. We quickly tried to back up to higher land but of course the sand was soft and the wheels spun in. Panicky but helpful beachgoers noticed our calamity and helped to pull us out. Fortunately there was no tidal wave. The loss of homes and lives in the villages was extensive and the small mining town of El Cobre with 450 inhabitants was completely flooded by thousands of tons of copper-mud sludge after the tremor broke a dam; a shocking sight.

In Santiago we were in the midst of a student uprising in demonstration against a hike in bus fares, where police teargas made our eyes water, noses burn and throats tickle. We got out of Santiago in a hurry. Due to the earthquake, the weather pattern in Chile changed and brought an early rainy season and snow season up in the Andes which spoiled our visit to the Chilean Lake district. We crossed to Argentina through the international railway tunnel instead of going over the pass which due to heavy snowfall was closed. Magnificent and impressive 22,834 ft. high Mount Aconcagua, the world's second highest mountain, towered over us while we passed within 10 miles of her leaving the mountains for the monotonous, flat Pampa.

Through Argentina and Uruguay we finally made Brazil, the land we never thought we would reach. It was a glorious feeling to enter Rio de Janeiro, the "Cidade Maravilhosa," as the Brazilians proudly call it. The Brazilian Touring Club gave us an official welcome to Rio's 400th anniversary celebration and congratulated us as the first U.S. registered car in a decade to arrive here officialy, entirely via road.

The city of contrast offered us enough excitement, from tropical jungle mountains to the most beautiful beaches in the world such as Copacabana and Impanema. The heavy traffic here is comparable with New York's. Parking violators, however, are treated with greater dispatch. The policemen deflate the tires and take away the valves. Most drivers are equipped with hand-pumps and spare valves to beat the inconvenience. A wrong left turn netted us a U.S. ten cent fine. On our way to northern Brazil, in the state of Mato Grosso we passed 8 feet high termite hills covering the fields by the thousands. These termites are known to tear down everything in their path when they start moving across the land. Modern Brazilia was a disappointment ... an empty city suffering from acute deterioration. Nobody wants to live here, it is too far away from the well-developed playgrounds of the coastal region. We do agree with Most Brazilians that the basic idea of building a city in this area is wonderful, but not with the country is stricken by so much inflation and political turmoil.

Some 800 miles short of our final destination a fire in the engine compartment almost put an abrupt end to our trip. On the way to Belem in a thick jungle area of the Amazon basin, far from any population and help, a rag caught fire. This rag was to stop the heavy powder dust from entering the air filter which was short of oil and it accidentally touched the hot manifold. Quick action by throwing road sand on the engine extinguished the flames before they could reach the gas tank. Most of the hoses and electrical cables were burned. We had no spare parts for such unforseen accidents. My ingenious wife came to the rescue with her idea of making hoses out of asbestos sheets stapled together. To replace the oil breather line we cut up our water hose. First-aid tape closed the gap on the carburetor intake hose. The electrical wires we replaced with wires we had with us. We worked four hours in 110 degree F temperature. After a complete clean-out of the engine compartment ... we had to spoon out the sand ... we continued our travels. It was only after our return to New York that we replaced those temporary parts with original ones! This was not the end of our misfortunes, however. Two days later on this very same road the generator failed. The coils were burned and there was not a single technician in the area who could help us out. An Irish missionary we then happened to meet, helped us to buy an extra 6 volt battery at the only gasoline station around. The only one the had cost us a mere US $53. Fortunately the dry-charged battery was defective and the money was cheerfully (!) refunded. We made the 400 miles to Imperatiz the first city where we could find service, on the battery alone.

The only way to wash our laundry and have our daily bath was to follow the natives' custom, so we joined them in the many rivers we passed. In hot northern Brazil we could not resist the cool waters although they are infested with carnivourous piranha fish, electric eel, crocodiles, snakes, oxfish and devil fish (sting-ray). Not even at night could they keep us weary travelers out of it. In this same area malaria and filariasis (elephatiasis) mosquitos were a plague. We did take malaria pills for prevention. Regular meals were cooked by Edith on our gasoline and alcohol stoves. Except for a few cans we had brought along, most vegetables and meats were inexpensively bought at local native markets. From local people she learned to prepare many delicious specialities.

The last leg of our return trip started in Belem, from which point we shipped the car back to New York. Then we took a jet to fly to Surinam, Guyana and Curacao, where we spend one week each relaxing before returning home.

The nicest experience of this tour was making of friends with many local families and fellow travelers. Our visitor's book has more than 180 entries, topped off with a sketch of Edith done by Brazil's well-known painter Scliar.

The total car repair and service bill excluding tire service was $187 ... for seven months and 27,888 miles travel. The continuous life in the VW camper was exceptionally comfortable. We plan to keep the camper for our next trip to Bolivia--Brazil later this year.